• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 GMC 2500 Odometer Problems

DIYORPAY

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a do it yourself fix for my odometer? About a month ago my odometer quit working(trip meter too) but my speedometer still works. i tried doing some research but didn't come up with much info. Is there a gear that can be replaced that drives the odo? I was also looking at replacing the whole cluster if it couldn't be fixed. I found a few diesel clusters on the big auction site but was wondering if anyone knew if the cluster has to be a 96 model or if a 97 or newer one would work.

I had one do the same thing. It was one of the drive gears on the odometer. The speedo still worked. The gear split on one side and allowed the metal shaft to spin inside it. I epoxied the crack and a little more from the gear to the shaft. Works great now.

On my 91 I had the same symptoms, and i tore it down and found that there is a bad catch when it rotates every 1 mile. It gets tough, and then just pops it out of the holder, so i would check into that as well.

good luck!

Back