• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 4l80e

Probably take an apprentice types like us about 30 hours.
Have three pans of solvent, mineral spirits or BBQ lighter fuel for wash and double rinse. When the wash pan gets grimy, dump it into a jug, clean the pan and move that one to tie second, or final, rinse position, the pan in the first rinse gets moved to the wash position. Keep rotating the pans, cleanest always goes to the final rinse position.
There are a few uprated components for the 4L80E transmission but most of the components from GM were quite tough.
I dont know what shafts or other components would need to be uprated to make these a better transmission.
I have overhauled several auto transmissions and they all functioned just fine when finished.
Best to get a book on this specific transmission and follow it through.
I imagine too that there are a couple of those specialty tools that are must haves in order to complete the job.
I built a rear case clutch compressor tool that I bend the arms on to fit a variety of transmissions. It works as well as any that can be had.

Home made transmission case clutch spring compressor.
Just to give You an idea of what You may need to come up with to accomplish a transmission rebuild.
I originally needed this for a TH700, IIRC.
Or it might have been for a Ford transmission.
I am not a professional transmission rebuilder. From My former job I was thrown into the position that I needed to rebuild four or five transmissions.
BF6C5E35-D493-4379-985D-3D4E5AE115DB.jpeg

Thanks for the time estimate. In dollars it would pay a guy to sit around a week and do it then. This ZF needed 1 gear and a rear synchro I believe. Didnt rebuild it fix the thing. Did one in a mini van same way a while back, the juice was beautiful and changing the filter was a waste but we replace the torque converter and input shaft and pop it back together .trans wash stand.JPGtrans pull.JPGtrans wash stand.JPGtrans pull.JPGtranny jack.JPGtrans wash stand.JPGtrans pull.JPGtranny jack.JPGparts washer.JPG

Back