• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 Reg cab headliner - overhead console

SmithvilleD

Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum taken the headliner out of the '88-'98 regular cab trucks?

Found the auto-dimming/compass mirror & an overhead console at the salvage yard a while back. Figure since they'll both require running power to them - ought to install both at the same time.

Trouble is I don't know with certainty if the structure or tabs the overhead console attaches to, are going to be there - above the headliner - on a '95 regular cab. I'm apprehensive to just cut thru the headliner, unless I know the console attachment points are there.

Thought I'd see if anybody has experience removing the headliner & what the odds are it can be done without damaging it?

I know that there is a few options for installing the overhead console in the 88-98 trucks. Ill ping Dave (88gmctruck), he knows a lot about the overhead consoles. He helped me put the long console in my truck. He added overhead consoles in his 88 GMC and his 02 GMC (both reg cab as well)

Removing the headliner is easy. Remove the sunvisors, passenger grab handle and A-pillars. The front of the headliner is held on with heavy velcro, pull it down and you can slid it forward.

As far as the mounting of an OH console, you have to be creative. Regular cabs never came with consoles. The front mounts aren't there, but all you really need is the screw to hold it in. The rear mounting slots are not in the sheetmetal in regular cabs - so you have to either cut the holes or cut the tabs off the back of the console, and find another way to mount it. The roof is double walled, so you can cut/drill holes in the inner layer, just be careful and not drill too far (about 1/2")

Yep, modded the longer Olds Bravada console w/ 4 map lights installed w/ some help from Dave. Had to cut a bit off the rear end, contour the rear shape of it's base to fit tight to the roof/over the the stock rear dome light panel, and move the location of the rear map lights.

This puts the new console dome light a bit further ahead in the cab which turns out to be a better general lighting location. Also, the rear map lights are proving handy to see/find things behind the seats.

I used a short, self-tapping screw to safely get a holes thru the inner panel without any risk of tapping/dimpling the outer surface.

Back