• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'94 Update - Running Cool

Big T

Reaction score
This is a prime example of the value of this website. Last fall my son hit some back ice in Southern Utah and flipped and totaled his '95 Suburban with 6.5. He settled with the insurance company (much more than it was worth) and bought the wreck back for $400. Then we bought a '94 Suburban K2500 with 6.5 from a member here. Very clean truck, some blowby, but the engine was running great. Winter and spring were spent transferring goodies such as exhaust, shocks, tires and wheels from the '95. Got rebuilt injectors with German Bosch Nozzles. New HO water pump and transferred the Dmax fan and HD fan clutch from the '95. Fixed the gauge cluster and installed the Buddy 4 position tune from the '95. Rebuilt the front end using knuckles and Timken bearings from the '95, new CV half shafts and Moog ball joints, tie rods, pitman, idler, and lot of good advice here. About the only things left to do would be adding the ATT, stainless oil cooler lines, and Fluid Dampener HB which I consider nice to haves.

Before my son decided to tow his 22' fiberglass deck boat from Socal to Lake Shasta, I recommended he do a local trip and get the damn pillar mount gauges from the '95 installed. He did and then he towed the boat up to our place in Big Bear Lake, Ca. The climb starts at 1,500' and reaches 7,100' at the Lakeview Summit and the home is at 6,750'. A stock 6.5 would overheat and defuel towing up that. He texted me that it ran great and the coolant temp got slightly over 210 on one stretch (my '99 does the same and that is my benchmark). This is an engine with 245K miles and blowby out of the dipstick, yet it's performing great. This is a prime example of why you should follow all the advice here and address all the things that affect cooling for these engines to ensure longevity. We don't know how long this engine will go, but it is much cleaner than my '99 and we also have the engine (and Trans) in the '95 as a back up.

Based on these results, we'll probably follow-up and see if the '95 Suburban in Palmdale I posted a link for in another thread is still available for sale. Once you know how to address the issues with the 6.5, these vehicles are just too cheap to ignore and we can always use a back up.

Realy glad to hear she's running good and strong for you!
I must admit I do miss driving the old beast, but a truck was a must have for me.

Realy glad to hear she's running good and strong for you!
I must admit I do miss driving the old beast, but a truck was a must have for me.

Dave, we love the truck. My wife still wants it. The front end is very tight now. Having the '95 wreck as a donor cut down the costs severely. There is easily over $2K of parts that have been transferred from the '95 to the '94, plus the new front end parts. Most owners would be facing those actual costs, which makes it a tough or slower process to make the improvements. That I wanted the '95 wreck out of my yard, makes it move a bit faster. It also represents a back-up for me.

buy it, fix it, have 3. c'mon, another OBDI that you like, with the interior you probably like, with a parts rig out back to get it going? cant lose! then when the spare motor is in the new 95, you will buy a teds motor, fix it up and have it on an engine stand ready to roll.

multiple uses. take the roughest rustiest ones on road salt highways and hard core off roading where body damage is iminent, another for around town, errands, empty highway trips, etc. then the tow sled, aka the one that gets the money dumped in it for max reliability and performance.

for real fun you should try to find an identical colored one and have twins for you and the wife. I know of a farmer around here with a pair of ECSB GMCs, maroon, auto 4wd, Identical in every way, just one is a 1500 with a 5.3L and the other is a 2500HD with 8100 BBC/ally, so from across the parking lot you dont know who it is, the wife or the husband.

diesels older than 98 are emissions exempt in CA for personal use in most counties, correct?

'98 and earlier diesels are exempt on smog in CA. That said, my '99 has never failed.

No salt roads out here in CA. Just lots of offroading and brush.

I want a clean one as it's expensive to repaint one properly. The '99 gets used offroad and has a lot Sierra pin stripes in the clear coat. It will get the same upgrades for longevity and power. Just would not drive one any other way.

Yes once the '95 engine is used, I'd get a a 6.5 from Ted's.

The link is on page 4 of the VW Lupo thread in the classifieds. The ad expired. Is there a way to find expired ads. It was a green K2500 in the Palmdale area. Had 222K miles, but looked very clean. Said it ran strong. Asking $2400.

Back