• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 2500 6.5 turbo won't start

Hot wire the pump to check it. before you go buy one and change it only to find out it already has a fairly new pump.

If your jumper wire is fuse protected, you can leave the lift pump run for an extended period of time without worry.

You can leave it run while trying to start.

You should be able to run a hot wire to the fuse on the passenger side firewall. Or you can go directly to the pump.

I'm not sure there is a relay kit. The relays I got from the dealer. A standard 5 pin relay. There is a very good thread here on how to do the relay upgrade.

The relays cost me less at the dealer than the ones that didn't work cost from Napa. They were 50 amp about $6 each

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?25691-Checking-lift-pump&highlight=lift+pump+fuse
There are a couple of other good lift pump threads here as well. Buddy's schematic works perfectly. I've done our 94 K3500 and 95 Tahoe

Last edited:
Before buying a new lift pump make sure it isn't the oil pressure sender (OPS). You can put the truck in drive and turn the ign to start, that will power the LP, if you have fuel then it's the OPS that's bad. The LP gets it's power from the OPS.

Before buying a new lift pump make sure it isn't the oil pressure sender (OPS). You can put the truck in drive and turn the ign to start, that will power the LP, if you have fuel then it's the OPS that's bad. The LP gets it's power from the OPS.

The oil pressure gauge works so wouldn't the ops be good?

Did you check the lift pump by hot wiring it yet?

I'm still betting you have a glow plug issue.

The oil pressure switch takes over after you have oil pressure. The guage is a seperate wire coming off the switch. So the gauge can work and the lift pump not.

The oil pressure gauge works so wouldn't the ops be good?

To the original poster here...do not be in a hurry to run out & start purchasing parts just yet. These trucks can be expensive if you go that route...listen read & TEST then purchase...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help I will start testing everything and see what's bad. I just need to figure it out soon since this is my only vehicle right now!

you can take that fuse on the pass side firewall and press it against one of the studs right there and check the lift pump. all those studs in that electrical center there are hot all the time

I just changed the fuel filter and the element was almost black. I don't think it's been changed in years-there was a freakin mouse nest under the engine cover! The fuel seemed ok, no grit or discoloring. Topped off the filter housing with a little Seafoam like I've done on the bigger trucks in the past. Waiting on the batts to charge back up before I can try it but I think/hope that may have been it.

Did you test the lift pump or the glow plugs yet? You've been burning a lot of daylight not listening.

If it was my only vehicle, I'd want to be getting on with it.

Did you test the lift pump or the glow plugs yet? You've been burning a lot of daylight not listening.

If it was my only vehicle, I'd want to be getting on with it.

When I tried testing the pump earlier the batts were nearly dead. Just charged and put them back in and the lift pump is working well. I tested the plugs in the block and didn't even get a reading on my multimeter. Did the 94's have an issue with the injector pump getting weak? What's the easiest was to test it?

Is it a standard or Automatic?
I strongly advise against any starter aids....scarey sh^t
Crank the engine several times and then quickly loosen your fuel cap, if you hear a loud hiss (air being sucked in) if you hear it then thats a for sure your lift pump is working and also a potential issue with your cap. Been there and had it happen, got the flattened steel tank to show.
I had in the past also gone as far as hooking a clear fuel line up to one of my injection lines and run it to a jar beside the truck to see if any fuel is passing through.

you posted while I was so okay the lift is working... good stuff
Yes the IP do wear out..how many miles? When was it last serviced?

217k miles, auto trans and I have no idea when it was serviced. I just got it 3 days ago from the original owner's grandson and now I'm stuck.

I know it's frustrating that you just bought it & all but they are great trucks, yea just have to learn yr way around em. Do some reading here lots of great info in the stick threads. The 6.5 has some quirks but can be very reliable with just a few minor mods & they get decent MPG with good power for a 5000+ lb vehicle. You'll get there, just takes a little effort & patience...

I know it's frustrating that you just bought it & all but they are great trucks, yea just have to learn yr way around em. Do some reading here lots of great info in the stick threads. The 6.5 has some quirks but can be very reliable with just a few minor mods & they get decent MPG with good power for a 5000+ lb vehicle. You'll get there, just takes a little effort & patience...

Actually I got kinda lucky. I didn't buy it, I traded an 83 El Camino that needed some work for it. I really do like the truck and the way it drives, it's just gettin it to start. I did get ahold of the guy tonight and he said he's been using ether to get it to start. With that said, it seems more and more like the glow plugs aren't getting hot enough. They do cycle, but I did notice a large voltage draw from them today (about 3-4 volts going by the factory gauge). Is that a little high or is it just me?

If I were to change the glow plugs, which would y'all recommend? I did plan on doing them anyway, I just hoped I'd more time before they needed it. I have a VERY limited budget and my choices are AC Delco or Autolite. I'm leaning toward the ACs, but I'd rather know for sure which will work better in it.

Back