• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 Chevy 6.5 TD: IP Gauge fuse keeps blowing

Nash

Reaction score
Im quite certain I have an electrical short somehwere...What i've got going is that my gauge fuse keeps blowing everytime I put a new one in. I am using the correct fuse (20A). My Speedometer, RPM, OP, V, Fuel level, etc etc gauges all fail whenever this fuse blows. Has this ever happened to anyone or does anyone have a solution to my issue?:mad2:

Yes, it is a bitc# to fix with everything that is on that fuse. The cold start switch is on that fuse. Cold start switch is on the coolant/thermostat crossover and has two wires going to the cold start advance on the IP and a fast idle solenoid. My switch shorted to ground. I would use a test light and unplug the cold start switch and see if the light goes out. The above suggestion for the FFM - unplug it. Took me 3 days to find the shorted switch...

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. Im just making sure I am doing this right. Is the fuel heater connection the red and black wires coming out of the filter manager or the other set of wires?

After no luck with tracing my wires and unplugging the fuel heater I unplugged my dual thermostat plugs. I put a new fuse in and started the engine... The fuse didn't blow and all my gauges are working.. I then plugged the dual thermostat plugs in one at a time so I could determine the bad apple. Thanks again for everyone's helpful suggestions and advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

ak diesel driver: Yes sir. The dual Tstat plugs were installed sometime before I bought the truck.

Back