• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 Chevy 3500 4L80E swap/ interchangeability?

Hammertyme

Reaction score
I’ve looked at many threads and found a lot of contradicting information:

My 4L80E in my 93 Chevy 3500 2wd lost reverse and I need to replace it or swap it. I’m having a really hard time finding a Transmission and every shop I talk to tells me something different.

So I’m told I can only use one from a 2wd.
What years of the 4L80E are compatible?
Is there a different trans that can be swapped?
There anything else I should take into consideration?

I appreciate any help/ info I can get on the subject.

91-93 are all basically the same, the only difference being the case plug. In early 93 GM changed the plug to a newer style to help with leaks and poor connections, but many earlier transmissions have been upgraded, and you can buy the plug to upgrade yours if needed, or the trans.

Guess I picked the perfect year truck lol. Is there no other transmissions that can swap in its place?

I found someone with a bigger truck, a 1993 Topkick. They said it has the 7.4L with an Allison auto Trans. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to swap these two.

Last I checked it's only $1200 to rebuild it and they pull it in/out on a 4x4. Local Shop in Phoenix anyway. Might try pricing a rebuild.

Back