• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'93 buildup

Riddle_3d

Reaction score
now that i need to fix up my '93 i would like some opinions on what i should do to the motor/transmission to make it a nice vehicle again. im open to anything, as long as itll stay together for a long time. its going to be a daily driver, an occasional towing vehicle. what should be done (other than the obvious overhaul business)?

4" exh., gauges and a k47 air box would be my reliability and bang for the buck mods.

maybe a HO water pump as well

X2 on everything above, especially the exhaust and air cleaner box, and I would get the 2000 year water pump with screw on fan clutch, and then a HD screw on fan clutch with DMax fan. Keep the single T-stat. You likely could use a new fan clutch since they lose clutch engagement capability over time, and the stock 6-blade fans up to 97 or so were crap for really pulling air. The later steel 9-blade fans were alright, but the DMax plastic fan is lighter and moves more air at slower speeds. Also since you have the low flow water pump and could use a new clutch and fan, and upgrading to a High Output one its the perfect time to upgrade to the latest, best balanced flow option.

Perhaps a .01" thicker Felpro head gasket to bring you down to 20:1 CR. I wouldnt go lower though.

Last edited:
guess i need to add a wiring harness to the list too. after the flexplate change this weekend, it pops the gauge fuse and quit charging, some sort of dead short back behind the motor. the harness is pretty cut and cobbled on anyways.

on the wiring, i figured that out today. so which is better for the motor, the d-max fan and single stat or the dualstats, or both together? it gets hot around here (85-100*F) whenever i would ever use it for towing (i have pulling tractors, 26' enclosed car trailer, 7k) im after good power, but mostly longevity. also, is the 4L80 E up to the challenge? or should i look into a manual swap?

The 4L80E is stout, with aftermarket programming that increases pressures it would be more reliable.

All the stuff in my post above about the stat and water pump would be good for reliability. There is no need for the dual stats and it takes up more space.

Perhaps a .01" thicker Felpro head gasket to bring you down to 20:1 CR. I wouldnt go lower though.
what kind of boost would be safe with those gaskets? ive also considered the HX35 turbo, because i have read it gives the same amount of boost with less back pressure on the engine

I realized you have the 93 with TCM, the 4L80E is good, although would be better with a repgrammed EPROM in the TCM, which Im not sure anyone does. I have a TCM EPROM program that I could try to "crack the code", basically find some of the tables. If I do I will let you know, if thats something you would be interested in.

also, is there anything thats reasonable to prevent the crank from breaking as easy? ive now have three engines with broken cranks, but only one with cracked main journals

You can get a Scat cast steel crank, which is much stronger, and make for sure it has a good balncer. cracked rubber on the balancers will end up breaking a crank. Or a flywheel issue like you have been having.

I realized you have the 93 with TCM, the 4L80E is good, although would be better with a repgrammed EPROM in the TCM, which Im not sure anyone does. I have a TCM EPROM program that I could try to "crack the code", basically find some of the tables. If I do I will let you know, if thats something you would be interested in.

(the jeff) i (we) are interested in that for sure...what do you need? a puter from the older trucks? i think that is a nifty idea for sure...

the felpro lower compression gaskets have been tested by some and they hold up to around 30 psi boost before they fail, but be sure to use head studs also... do not use the TTY bolts, because they will yield until you have a whole bunch of little dents in your hood...LOL also, use a girdle in there as well, that will aid in keeping the botom end rigid... the DSG bed frame girdle is alright, but you will be better off to build a 5 pin girdle...:)

the felpro lower compression gaskets have been tested by some and they hold up to around 30 psi boost before they fail, but be sure to use head studs also... do not use the TTY bolts, because they will yield until you have a whole bunch of little dents in your hood...LOL also, use a girdle in there as well, that will aid in keeping the botom end rigid... the DSG bed frame girdle is alright, but you will be better off to build a 5 pin girdle...:)

Attachments

• DSCF0057.jpg
    DSCF0057.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0056.jpg
    DSCF0056.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 6
(the jeff) i (we) are interested in that for sure...what do you need? a puter from the older trucks? i think that is a nifty idea for sure...

I have one TCM program out of a 92 TCM from bk95td. If you pull the TCM hatch off you can see the EPROM in it, and the one I have already is BACY. If you have a differnt code and could send just the chip that surely could help.

A set of the 5 bolt girdles would surely move things along too :hihi:

Back