• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 6.5TD TPS

azreark1

Reaction score
ok did a motor swap cuz the old motor is junk and turns out the new motor my dad picked up for the truck was out of a 92...now the only difference i've seen so far is that the holes where the oil cooler lines plug into are different sizes between the 92 and the 93...yeah wierd.

anyways i am almost done getting the thing hooked up but now i'm stuck and (as all of you probably know by now) the dang book is NO help what-so-ever...oh and so are the guys over at GM-Diesel...idiots.

anyways, i cannot for the LIFE of me find the dang plug for the TPS Sensor on the IP. I've looked at every bit of wiring running around my truck but cannot seem to locate it...is there even supposed to be one on the 93? if one of you guys could take a look at your engine and see where in the wire banks the plug comes out to plug in to the TPS and let me know it would help out a bunch, thanks!

The wires for the throttle position sensor should be coming off the passenger side of the injection pump. Its black plastic, round like a puck.
If your "93" engine has larger oil cooler lines it is not a 93 engine. The oil cooler line size was increased in late 97 on the "506"block castings when the piston oil squirters were added. What are the casting numbers on the top of the bellhousing flange?

On the TPS. I'm not quite clear, are you looking for the plug on the truck end or the engine end?

Only automatic equipped trucks need it, so if you have a standard transmission truck, it probably will not have a connector. You can remove the TPS from the pump or just leave it unconnected. There is no need for it.

If you have an automatic but can't find it on the engine, its located on the injection pump, opposite the throttle linkage. If the donor was from a standard trans truck, it probably is not there. In that case, just remove the TPS from the old pump and transfer to the new one. Its held on by 2 bolts. You will need to adjust it once you get the engine going.

One curiosity - 92 and 93 should have the same size oil cooler fittings. Sounds like the engine has been replaced at some point with a newer engine. Can you read the casting numbers on the rear of the block by the cyl head?

ok awesome guys that totally helps me out, yes the donor motor was out of an automatic but mine is a manual so that would totally explain why there is no TPS plug anywhere on the truck.

As far as the year motor...i'm going back up to dallas this weekend to hopefully finish getting it put back together so i'll check out the casting numbers. I know for a fact that the donor motor is out of a 92. My truck is a 93 and as far as i know it has not had its motor replaced.

I'm pretty sure it can't be a '97 block because they started with the electronic IP in what, '95? and my old one was still mechanical.

Another question...has anyone else changed thier exhaust and had a really hard time getting the crossover pipe to seal? It took me about 6hrs and 3 different sets of new donut gaskets to get the damned thing to stop leaking and it still puffs out a little exhaust but not anywhere near as much as when i first put it on.

As far as the year motor...i'm going back up to dallas this weekend to hopefully finish getting it put back together so i'll check out the casting numbers. I know for a fact that the donor motor is out of a 92. My truck is a 93 and as far as i know it has not had its motor replaced.

I'm pretty sure it can't be a '97 block because they started with the electronic IP in what, '95? and my old one was still mechanical.

Its very easy to swap in a mechanical pump. I recently purchased what was supposed to be a the original engine from a 1993. It had the mechanical pump, etc. but was a 1997 engine. As mentioned, if the oil cooler ports are larger, it almost has to be a later block.

ok i gotcha, well yeah when i head back up there this weekend i'll check it out...the '97 block with the piston oil squirters you mentioned...that a good block? should i look into re-building it instead of scrapping it?

ok i gotcha, well yeah when i head back up there this weekend i'll check it out...the '97 block with the piston oil squirters you mentioned...that a good block? should i look into re-building it instead of scrapping it?
They are all good unless they are cracked. Oil squirters may be more prone to cracking, but non oil squirters crack as well.

Back