• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

92 NV4500 clutch issues

davo727

Reaction score
Well, I found out what was causing the loud rattle and clutch not disengaging all the way on the 92 Dually I trailered home, the prev owner parked it after he paid some goof to r/r the clutch and he screwed it up.

All 6 flywheel bolts loose, flywheel rocks back and forth about 1/2 in. Obviously not torqued and not locktited.

Dowel pin broke off in crank.

Has brand new solid flywheel, new disc looks like carbon friction linings , new pressure plate , old leaking slave and old grinding throwout bearing.
Bellhousing previously welded, will clean it up and inspect.
Im going to try and look up some numbers off this stuff to see if the parts are correct. Im going to replace the throwout and the slave cyl.

Somebody told me they thought there should be a shim between the crankshaft and the flywheel? Anyone know if that is true?

I have to get new bolts and dowel pin for the crank from the dealer. Thanks, Dave

Well, I found out what was causing the loud rattle and clutch not disengaging all the way on the 92 Dually I trailered home, the prev owner parked it after he paid some goof to r/r the clutch and he screwed it up.

All 6 flywheel bolts loose, flywheel rocks back and forth about 1/2 in. Obviously not torqued and not locktited.

Dowel pin broke off in crank.

Has brand new solid flywheel, new disc looks like carbon friction linings , new pressure plate , old leaking slave and old grinding throwout bearing.
Bellhousing previously welded, will clean it up and inspect.
Im going to try and look up some numbers off this stuff to see if the parts are correct. Im going to replace the throwout and the slave cyl.

Somebody told me they thought there should be a shim between the crankshaft and the flywheel? Anyone know if that is true?

I have to get new bolts and dowel pin for the crank from the dealer. Thanks, Dave

NOPE no shim between the flywheel and the crank. I changed my 95 to solid mass flywheel, 6.2 had solid clutches long before they went to the new (better) dual mass flywheel

The only caveat is you must have the high frequency vibration damper mounted to your transmission tail shaft. It is inside the transmission on the tail shaft. This takes out the frequency pulses from the crank shaft. I don't have the link for the part number. two wheel and four wheel are different parts I know I have 4 wheel and could find a good number of the 2 wheel.

Thanks, Mine is 2wd. It has a solid steel ring about 8 in dia and 2 or 3 in thick at the rear of the trans that the output yoke attaches to.
I saw a parts breakdown somewhere and it showed that damper on the 4x4 and not on the 2wd? Will have to look into it more.

Thanks, Mine is 2wd. It has a solid steel ring about 8 in dia and 2 or 3 in thick at the rear of the trans that the output yoke attaches to.
I saw a parts breakdown somewhere and it showed that damper on the 4x4 and not on the 2wd? Will have to look into it more.

DAng transmissions are expensive, no need to trash any parts. Everyone kept telling me you don't need it with a LUX clutch. OLD trans guy told me I would eventually fry my output shaft because of the pulses. They loosen up fifth gear which is only held on by the lock nut at 700lbs torque, no way I was getting that baby on and off. SOld me the part for 20 dollars and charged me 50 to install it, cheap considering the part was $300.00 new. WHeww glad I found him, been smooth as glass for 30,000 plus miles

Looked at the crank today and it actually had No Pilot Bearing! , just the outer shell of one. Went to chevy and got the flywheel bolts, dowel and pilot bearing.

Had the guy look up the optional vibr damper for the 2wd with solid type flywheel and it says vibration damper with yoke assy and shows the yoke with the big round steel donut on it just like my truck has already, Maybe it was added years ago at the first clutch change when they took out the dual mass? He couldnt find a mention or a pic of a yoke for a dual mass flywheel, so I coulnt compare it to what I have. saw somewhere else the internal vibr damper for the 4X4 trans , im thinking maybe they do that since they cant run the yoke with the big steel donut on it cause thats where the transfer case bolts on so they use the smaller internal one?

Last edited:
Depending on how long they ran it without the pilot bearing it "could" wear the input shaft bearing. Maybe worth checking while trans is out.

Hey slim shady - Glad to see you got a new member number. The one u had at first was uncool

Yeah new number thanks to Turbine Doc. Couldn't keep that number. Feel much better now. :hand:

Back