• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

#9 Resistor in FSD-lower MPG?

turbopower6

Reaction score
Hi All,
Having reworked the fuel supply on my 96 Suburban as follows:

1. Replaced fuel tank,pickup and both supply and return fuel lines at the rear end
2. Added a Racor Parker R90T to a custom frame rail mount before the lift pump
3. Installed the Walbro FRB5 lift pump and eliminated the frame rail pump. Kept bracket just in case.
4. Fabricated new steel fuel lines using the original (bastard) GM metric flare connectors to avoid an use of rubber lines in the modification. More work - less worry for me down the line!!
5. Installed John Kennedy's double OPS switch and harness to power lift pump on it's own fused circuit
6. Raised fuel minded with longer bolts and washers to clear the tee used in John's kit which I modified

Results are in.... This the way GM should have made the fuel delivery in the first place. The truck is running beautifully with no more "adventures" as my wife is fond to remind me about!

I have noticed the fuel mileage has dropped a bit. We used to get right around 18-19 mpg on the highway running about 1900 +/- rpm @ 62-63 mph.

Now it seems like we are around 13-14 mpg at the same sped/rpm. I am wondering if replacing the PMD on the remote cooler with a #9 resistor made that difference?

I am checking each tank of fuel vs. Mileage and avoiding idling the truck as much as possible to see how this shakes out. I do notice a difference in performance with this resistor added vs. The original set up.

Just wondering?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Ted

I think the extra pep you notice is from the fuel upgrades and not the resistor. I'd suspect the right foot more than anything else. what year rig do you have?

Those mods would'int have affected MPGs. The FRB5 may not supply enough pressure to optimize the DS4 IP. FRC 10, raptor or any other pump that can supply 10psi at the IP is good. You will notice the difference with 10psi.

Back