• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

89 gmc 1500 with 77 350 followed up with a TS

Joe critchley

Reaction score
I have a 1989 GMC 1500 that has a 77 Chevy 350 swap with matching 4 speed. The transmission had a slight rattle noise at a higher RPM when I got it. I got in at one morning and started it for work and the rattling noise was so bad I thought it was knocking. It hasn’t quietened any since. The noise sounds like it’s coming from behind the inspection plate on the front of the bell housing but I don’t know what the noise is if anyone has dealt with this and can help me please get a hold of me. Any help would be appreciated...

If you want to talk, send me an DM if you can help me, maybe send me your contact info, and I will get in touch with you thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Something broken in the clutch. Maybe pilot bearing failure. Need to stop driving it till it's fixed. Clutches can "blow up" if they slip bad and long enough and chop your feet clean off.

Something broken in the clutch. Maybe pilot bearing failure. Need to stop driving it till it's fixed. Clutches can "blow up" if they slip bad and long enough and chop your feet clean off.
The clutch has felt fine and there’s no change in noise when I press it or release it it only changes the noise but how high the motor is revving

Loose bolt? Random busted part including springs in the clutch. Throw out bearing?

Oil in trans look fine? Engine oil look fine? Exhaust systems are known to rattle like failing cat converters or mufflers with a loose baffle in em.

Word about GM stuff: sometimes it gives you a clear warning somethings about to break or reached it's wear limit. Possible to catch it before it fails and you call the hook to get it home to your tools.

We really don't have much to go on.

Back