• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

85 Isuzu 4 cyl diesel 5 speed Conversion

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
The BAY is the place to find them and they are in high demand, even newer small Isuzu diesels are available to retro fit any small vehicle and get 40/50+ mpgs easy.

What would a good 4x4 1997 or newer vehicle be to retrofit? Any recommendations.

My main concern would be ease of working around the computer so that everything works. I know older would be easier. But I like some of the newer amenities.

Or would it be easier to add the amenities and safety stuff after?

Tell me more. What would a good 4x4 1997 or newer vehicle be to retrofit? Any recommendations.

My main concern would be ease of working around the computer so that everything works. I know older would be easier. But I like some of the newer amenities.

What do you want to do with your vehicle? Are you looking to plop the isuzu diesel in it? If so, I would consider leaving it in there, or finding any 1/4 ton size vehicle to stuff it in - rangers, s-10's, colorado's, wranglers, - anything small but where i want better torque and fuel mileage, and don't care how fast I go or how quick I get there.

What do you want to do with your vehicle? Are you looking to plop the isuzu diesel in it? If so, I would consider leaving it in there, or finding any 1/4 ton size vehicle to stuff it in - rangers, s-10's, colorado's, wranglers, - anything small but where i want better torque and fuel mileage, and don't care how fast I go or how quick I get there.

This would just be a utility vehicle or maybe something for the grand kids to drive.

Tell me more. What would a good 4x4 1997 or newer vehicle be to retrofit? Any recommendations.

There a few approaches here first is an older and lighter vehicle conversion is easiest and would yield the best MPG.
The web is full of Isuzu conversion components and even complete diesel, trans, t-case and harness w/controllers for more modern applications available from JDM on the BAY, best for more modern light duty 4x4 vehicles.
Keep in mind the only Isuzu suitable for 3/4 and heavier vehicles would be the bigger medium truck diesel which can be bolted up to many different transmission etc.

There a few approaches here first is an older and lighter vehicle conversion is easiest and would yield the best MPG.
The web is full of Isuzu conversion components and even complete diesel, trans, t-case and harness w/controllers for more modern applications available from JDM on the BAY, best for more modern light duty 4x4 vehicles.
Keep in mind the only Isuzu suitable for 3/4 and heavier vehicles would be the bigger medium truck diesel which can be bolted up to many different transmission etc.

It would definitely be a light duty 4x4. Something close to a gator or mini truck. Or an over sized golf cart. Maybe the size of a Kia Sportage or a truck about the same size

Do you have any recommendations?

It would definitely be a light duty 4x4. Something close to a gator or mini truck. Or an over sized golf cart. Maybe the size of a Kia Sportage or a truck about the same size

Do you have any recommendations?
2wd w/manual will yield best mpg. As a 4x4 goes real small and expect perhaps 40 mpg more if it is configured as a sand rail or fast attack vehicle but not practical for inclement weather. Bare bones Mini-truck/SUV is well suited any CJ willys jeep for the older IDI 4 banger, move to mid sized and the sky is the limit w/bigger Isuzu 4 banger most every Japanese mid size would be good.
There is a wide array of bell housing adapters too the Isuzu diesel is used in many machines and parts are easy on the pocket.

Before you jump check JDM on the BAY the have complete diesel conversions w/manual or auto 2wd & 4x4 for most mid sized Japanese pickups/SUV/MPV which were limited here in America but abundant elsewhere.

The combinations for diesel conversions are many.

The one I find most interesting is the Mercedes OM606-962 3.0 ltr inline 6cyl 4 valve turbo IDI diesel commonly @ 175 hp, however the FINNS run them @ 500 hp and yes they can be adapted to GM transmissions too.

Great White's IDI info mentions the 3.0 Benz 4 valve diesel as the most efficient IDI
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/idi-tecchie-info-courtesy-of-great-white.27096/

Last edited:
Back