• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"79" Chevy 1ton Ambulance 4x4 info

Huck54

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a "79" 1 ton 4x4 ambl. Was a 400 cu sb swapped to a 350 cu sb, auto trans that is front wheel drive until 4x engaged, then the rear engages. BIG GAS HOG NOW, supposedly put special carb to meet emissions! I can find manuals on everything but transfercases. Suggestions on how to ID transfr and whether I might be able to do something internal to make it rwd And can that transf case bolt to a standard 4x4 tran? :???:
Any assistNce from someone more knowledgeable than me would be greatly appreciated. :agreed:

Last edited:
Yep I'm In

Howdy. now All I need to do is a lot of looking around to find that which I wanted originally. Thanks!!.:hello:

Learn something new every day. Never heard of a front wheel drive chevy pickup. Assuming it's like any other tcase it should have a metal "sticker" attached to the housing somewhere giving the make and model number (NP-207 for example). Just thinking out loud it probably can't be readily adapted to be rwd if it follows the same principles as a "normal" tcase in operation. Best bet would be to get a different tcase from the junkyard and swap it. I'm assuming drivelines, tranny , etc are going to be in a standard setup. Sounds to me like it's basically a standard tcase, just put in backwards but I can't believe it would be that simple.

Then again I may be totally off. Wouldn't be the first time :D

never heard of any old chevy truck being a front wheel drive. when you crawl underneath take a picture of the t-case, should be easy to identify

It isn't full time as I've set in my driveway and spun the tires and only the front spun until I put it in 4X4 gearing.

the np203 will only spin one front and one back wheel when locked. if they're left in just 4 wheel you'll one get one wheel to spin.

Back