• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'72 Ford 3000 sheetmetal alignment ?

schiker

Reaction score
What is the trick to putting a hood and front clip back on semi straight?

I had a leak in my radiator so I figured no problem take off the hood front clip take out radiator take it to a radiator shop to fix it. Then put it all back together.

Well it was going too easy and all according to plan until I tried to put the hood pieces back on. Yeah, I had to bend the front struts to the nose clip but not far. Now its all out of wack.

Before I started the hood had some misalignment and you had to clip the front end first then the back. It was a little tight in front and loose in back.

I suspect this tractor was rolled or wrecked by a previous owner and the sheet metal is just goofy. The guy I bought it from was a tractor fixer upper and trader. It was freshly painted and I should have known better than buy a freshly painted old tractor unless it was the original owner. But it was all I could afford at the time and the first I looked at without a bunch of weld on linkages etc. Its been about 15 yrs now and its been a good tractor but seeing more over the years it looks like he painted it up good threw in some stop leak and lucky me I had a old tractor that looked pretty good. Until I have to go work on it and its the 2nd fix and its not as easy as the first time to fix. Under the paint it has had a pretty hard life.

Or is sheetmetal just notorious for not going back together very easily.

I am going to have to use some cable winches or ratchet straps to bend things back into shape because I can't get the hood to close without a big gap at one end and way overlapped at the other. Does that sound normal?

Do you start on one side and work around or fix the middle then go to sides?

Back