• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

700R4 strange shift

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
I swapped in a new Diesel TV cable from the dealer in my blazer and adjusted it by pulling the cable housing back and then opening the throttle at the IP to WOT, and got a succession of clicks from the adjuster(sounded like 3 or 4). I took it for a test drive and the 1-2 is still somewhat iffy. it feels like it's hesitating in between gears. for example 1...pauses inbetween then 2nd catches.

So i readjusted the TV cable again, this time stepping on the throttle from the driver's seat, and i got 2 clicks of the TV cable adjuster. the shift still feels strange and has a pause to it.

Strangest thing is, with the old frayed TV cable, if i adjusted it, it would shift perfect from 1st to 2nd until the cable adjuster moved as it was worn out. Why can i not get the brand new cable(they are identical cables) to make the trans shift properly?

This trans was heavily beaten and i found metal flakes in the pan as well as burnt almost brown fluid. i changed the fluid and filter once. The level looks correct, but it was dark out so i'll have to check it again today. could slightly low fluid cause a garbage 1-2 shift? I may change the fluid again since the filter has less than 150 miles on it.

Also the other shifts 2-3 seems to be fine. i haven't gotten it going fast enough for it to kick into OD or TCC lockup since swapping the cable.

What's going on here? Am i adjusting this cable incorrectly or something? I don't think it has any relevance but i also swapped in a non-EGR intake off a N/A 6.5 during this process.

If it's stretching the shifts out to much, I would adjust it like you did and then move it an extra click and see what it does. Could also be a bad governor or tailshaft bushing causing it as well.

Back