• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

700R4 rebuild

Should I replace the weak but great running 2.8 V6 or swap it for a 3.4 V6?

• YES

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Justin I'd look hard at the 4.3L V-6 with a manual trans, got one in my 90 gasser, 200K on it now, when I drive sanely with it 26 mpg any fuel was possible when it was new in OD, and have decent power, mpg sucked if towing heavy or a trailer with high sides capable of catching a lot of wind 11-12 mpg, my son is gonna inherit it soon as his 1st and we'll overhaul it to get back some lost performance/mpg as 200K it's getting finikey.

But I don't think you'll find a better match of power when needed, and mpg when not needed.

Justin I'd look hard at the 4.3L V-6 with a manual trans, got one in my 90 gasser, 200K on it now, when I drive sanely with it 26 mpg any fuel was possible when it was new in OD, and have decent power, mpg sucked if towing heavy or a trailer with high sides capable of catching a lot of wind 11-12 mpg, my son is gonna inherit it soon as his 1st and we'll overhaul it to get back some lost performance/mpg as 200K it's getting finikey.

But I don't think you'll find a better match of power when needed, and mpg when not needed.

Tim, I thought about using a 4.3 but there is just so much to change around in order to do it. The reason I thought of the 3.4 was because of ease of install and power gain in return. I really want to go with a diesel for it in the long run but I cant afford to put 3 grand into this truck right now. The 4.3 is a solid motor but requires the same work as a 350 for install.. then again it would return better mileage.. just not sound as good:sifone: The manual tranny idea I really like too, but the reason I am building this 700 is to get a basic knowledge of an auto to down the road I can build my allison, unless of course Mike L comes to the east coast for a visit!

Did you get the trans rebuilt? If so how did it turn out?

I will finish disassembly this weekend, then will order parts. I am trying to go by the video and manual for disassymbly and inspection... never really realized how complex this thing was! If you guys are interested I can post up pictures from start to finish.

The 3.4 is a stroked out 2.8 as is the 3.1 here is a web site that sells the stroker kits.http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm2834stkr.html

For the 2.8 you won't need to beif up the tranny its a dog of a motor and the 700r4 is a pretty good trans for that amount of power.

Thanks for the link. 2.8 may not have much power but this tranny has quit multiple times... considering this will be my driver when my truck sells I need it reliable.... especially if my old nissan quits running.

well guys I have completed the rebuild (finally). was not as difficult as expected really just used every bit of patience I had! anyway all I have left is two seals(front pump I think thats what its called and the tailshaft. The internals of the tranny looked like they only had maybe 15k on them and the band looked brand new, We ended up replacing all the seals to be safe and the clutch packs and friction plates since I had them. Valve body looked great but replaced everything that came in the kit. wish I had some pics but I forgot my camera when I went down there. Anyway do any of you have any idea where I can get a torque converter at? All I can find is the 400 dollar ones...... Thanks

I had an 85 S-15 Jimmy the 2.8L & 700R4. The tranny was rebuilt at 225k for the first time and that was not a job I was looking to take on!! sold the s-15 with 305k on the clock. I now have my 87' K5 700R4 tranny on the blitz just after i did a service on it, Worked great for about 2 weeks and now it not shifting out of first. I'm thinking just a solniod problem I dont think it's going to be a rebuild. anyway good luck with the tranny

Back