• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

700r4 parts in newer K case

Chevy1231

Reaction score
Can you use all the internal parts out of a 1985 pre aux valve body case in a newer K case with the auxillary valve body? I want to use the valve bodies off of the K case with the internals of the old case because I rebuilt my 1985 tranny and it had shifting problems so I put all the parts and the valve body and aux valve body block off plate on the K case and it wouldn't go into reverse or drive but when I put it in 1st it went in to gear but now it's stuck in 1st no matter what gear it's in. The old case spun the bushing in the back and I have to use the input shaft because it fits my diesel convertor.

I suspect a seperator plate issue.

Non-aux VB must use block off plate along with original non-aux seperator plate.

Aux VB must use the seperator plate and aux VB/plate for that app.

Cases didn't change all that much between 82 & 93 for TH700R4.

Check your governor and gear for damage/sticking.

added: check balls are relative to the type of VB setup used.

I suspect a seperator plate issue.

Non-aux VB must use block off plate along with original non-aux seperator plate.

Aux VB must use the seperator plate and aux VB/plate for that app.

Cases didn't change all that much between 82 & 93 for TH700R4.

Check your governor and gear for damage/sticking.

added: check balls are relative to the type of VB setup used.

Any chance the newer valve bodies can be put back and it work properly? I put the valve body, separator plate and block off plate off the old case on the new case and all the check balls in the same locations as the old case and I'm having these problems. Are there any oil passages that are different between the old case and new case that could be doing this

Any chance the newer valve bodies can be put back and it work properly?

Yes. Check ball locations must follow the type of VB (aux/non-aux)... There are differences in the seperator plate (and the plate itself as mentioned) gaskets also between Aux and Non-aux.

Further, the only thing the auxiliary valve body does is soften the 'garage shift' or- the transition between Park and 1st, or Park and reverse....and consequently reverse and 1st..

Back