• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

700r4 np241 to nv4500 np241 swap help

jesse24spd

Reaction score
New to the forum and after looking through all the posts couldn't find an answer to my question. Currently running a 92 k1500 blazer 5.7 700r4 np241. This is the third transmission since I've owned the truck (bought 2/2011). Done with swapping autos. Will my np241 that's bolted to the 700r4 now bolt up up to a nv4500?
I will be visiting the local pick n pull yard soon. What truck should I pull my swap parts from?

Thank you all in advance.

if you are into rock crawling, a 92-mid 94 NV4500 should be found, due to the low ratios. the early tranny suffered from a top cover that wore prematurely, and I will vouch for that, all of our early NV4500s feel a tick "bindy" and scratchy, not slick and smooth. 95 was the first year of the new top cover, and last year of the external slave cylinder, so if you want to keep the rig period correct (88-95 had external slave, 96+ had internal slave) I would say a 1995 transmission would work great. now if you want a faster reverse gear, you need a 97 and up, and if you want a synchronized reverse gear, go 99 and up.

NV4500s will be found on most any heavy 3.4 ton or 1 ton, but I have bought one out of a ECLB 350 powered C1500 before, and saw one is a 350 powered ECSB K1500, and a 4.3L powered RCLB K1500 (all RPO sticker verified) , so it will be in anything, but most commonly the heavy 3.4 and one tons.

IIRC from his ongoing thread on his 88 GMC truck, member "88gmctruck" found out that the 700R4 and NV4500 measure out to under a half or 1/4 inch of difference, so one doesnt need to do any driveline changes. as far as the splines, you need to wait for him or some other member more versed in 4wd tech than me, as I am a 2wd junkie.

I use the truck for a daily driver and tow rig. I read through the 88gmc thread but didnt see anything about the spline count.

I know that a 700r4 tcase wont bolt to a th400, and a th400's bolts to a nv4500
Dont know the spline counts, just info i have remembered reading.
So, No it will not work.

Ok then what year should I pull the nv4500 and transfer case from. I need a driver side drop.

well, every NV4500 in a 4wd truck I have ever seen is drivers side drop, so I would go as far as to say that any year NV4500 will work, you just need to choose between 92-95 external slave cylinder (easy to change!) or 96-07 internal slave cyl. (compact, but have to seperate to change cyl.)

well, every NV4500 in a 4wd truck I have ever seen is drivers side drop,
This is why I like this forum you learn stuff you thought you already knew but are shocked to find you were...were...were... <gag> wrong. :eek:
I have had in the back of my mind converting the tired old Ramcharger of mine to 6.X diesel power, 700R4, 208. BUT the Dodge is passenger side drop, that complicates things a bit. :(

if you are into rock crawling, a 92-mid 94 NV4500 should be found, due to the low ratios. the early tranny suffered from a top cover that wore prematurely, and I will vouch for that, all of our early NV4500s feel a tick "bindy" and scratchy, not slick and smooth. 95 was the first year of the new top cover, and last year of the external slave cylinder, so if you want to keep the rig period correct (88-95 had external slave, 96+ had internal slave) I would say a 1995 transmission would work great. now if you want a faster reverse gear, you need a 97 and up, and if you want a synchronized reverse gear, go 99 and up.

NV4500s will be found on most any heavy 3.4 ton or 1 ton, but I have bought one out of a ECLB 350 powered C1500 before, and saw one is a 350 powered ECSB K1500, and a 4.3L powered RCLB K1500 (all RPO sticker verified) , so it will be in anything, but most commonly the heavy 3.4 and one tons.

IIRC from his ongoing thread on his 88 GMC truck, member "88gmctruck" found out that the 700R4 and NV4500 measure out to under a half or 1/4 inch of difference, so one doesnt need to do any driveline changes. as far as the splines, you need to wait for him or some other member more versed in 4wd tech than me, as I am a 2wd junkie.

The 241c manual t case has 28 spline planetary you will need 32 for nv4500 what I did was took the planetary gear from a push button transfer case with a 32 spline and put it in my 241c manual transfer case and it bolted right up

Back