• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

#7 injector harness

oros35

Nuclear Nerd
Reaction score
So long story short, I've been having problems with the #7 injector wire harness for the past 8 months. Ice picked, smashed, di-electric greased, re-icepicked time and time again. Sometimes it would last a few miles, sometimes it would last a few months. So bad I now carry a milk crate so I can reach it easier. Codes point to #7, other common issues fixed or checked.

Other than spending $150 on the GM kit ($187 with shipping!!!), do I have any other options? Can I buy just a single pigtail for that injector? Having a real hard time spending that much cash for a simple pigtail.

I think the connector is now fubard cause nothing seems to get it working more than a few miles now.

So long story short, I've been having problems with the #7 injector wire harness for the past 8 months. Ice picked, smashed, di-electric greased, re-icepicked time and time again. Sometimes it would last a few miles, sometimes it would last a few months. So bad I now carry a milk crate so I can reach it easier. Codes point to #7, other common issues fixed or checked.

Other than spending $150 on the GM kit ($187 with shipping!!!), do I have any other options? Can I buy just a single pigtail for that injector? Having a real hard time spending that much cash for a simple pigtail.

I think the connector is now fubard cause nothing seems to get it working more than a few miles now.

Don't know... but not having to constantly fix something for me would be well worth $187...just saying...

Do you have a good close up picture of connector? I "might" be able to source them.

I think most everybody went with the new connectors for #2 and #7. I thought you could just buy the connector replacement/conversion kit. Not the whole shootin' match... most of which you don't need. But yeah, I'd be replacing whatever is on the #7 circuit right from the injector to the nearest termination.

What kind of problems are you having with the #7 injector?

There were 2 problems with LLY injector wiring. 1) The wiring harness was routed over the alternator bracket and was likely to rub through and short out. 2) the connectors for #2 and #7 were straight and had too much strain on them so they lost connection. The connectors were replaced with 90* ones but you could sometimes get them to work by sticking an ice pick in them and re-crimping.
Both problems were very common and threw the truck into limp. My LLY had the harness short at about 25k miles.

There were 2 problems with LLY injector wiring. 1) The wiring harness was routed over the alternator bracket and was likely to rub through and short out. 2) the connectors for #2 and #7 were straight and had too much strain on them so they lost connection. The connectors were replaced with 90* ones but you could sometimes get them to work by sticking an ice pick in them and re-crimping.
Both problems were very common and threw the truck into limp. My LLY had the harness short at about 25k miles.

Thanks Mike for the info. I haven't heard about this, of course mine is an LB7 I thought maybe this might be my issue.....but it's not.

Yep, my problem is the crappy connector. Over time they tend to loose connection to the injector. You can rebend the connector tabs (ice pick method), and that usually works, and did for a while on mine. But now I can't get it to make a good connection any more.

It's just upsetting to spend almost $200 on a simple pigtail that I know can't cost GM more than $10. Even if it was $20 or $30 I wouldn't have a problem with it but what a ripoff. They designed it poorley and are making us pay out the ass for their F up.

I think most everybody went with the new connectors for #2 and #7. I thought you could just buy the connector replacement/conversion kit. Not the whole shootin' match... most of which you don't need. But yeah, I'd be replacing whatever is on the #7 circuit right from the injector to the nearest termination.

Just the connector replacement/conversion kit is $187!!!! List for it is over $250. The kit comes with 2 pigtails and a small bracket and 2 bolts. At that rate a whole new harnes would be a couple grand!

At this point you probably don't have much choice but the kit. I would hope you could find it for a more reasonable price. Keep looking.

So after about 3 more hours of searching, here’s what I’ve come up with.

GM PN 88988963 List Price: $70.64 GMPartsdirect price: $36.38
No verification that this is correct although part # cross leads to this and appears to be correct. I’ve found nothing to lead me that this is not correct.

ACDELCO Part # PT2183 Common part even listed on Amazon! Around $35
The picture of this plug looks like the right one.

I found it cheapest at RockAuto.com for $19 although regularly lists at $38. Just purchased 2 of them.

Now these are all the standard plug, not the 90 degree “fix” plugs. The 'fix' been known to be a temporary fix to many people. Now from what I gather, the “fix” is nothing more than the standard plug with a 90 degree boot stuck to the back of it. So that’s what your paying all that extra money for…

Awesome website
http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pi/wiring-connectors/

Now $35 is more reasonable, although I think still about $20 more than it should be for a small piece of plastic and a little bit of copper!

Wow! That does look like a valuable website to have around.

I hope this works out for you and please be sure and keep us up to date on it with some pics of the repair process. Before and after. I'm pretty sure it will come in handy for other members in the future.
Much more palatable price. Did you think to get a Rockauto code in there when you ordered?

Look at the 'Deal Finders' section below and then at the top is a sticky with the Rockauto code. As guys order and get a new one, they just update the thread. It's a quick 5% discount.

Back