• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

I don't care about the missing bolts I would just like to see pics, kinda like being there. I am also waiting for the pics Bill took.

We could make it there Tuesday but have to be back for my son's graduation Wednesday... You could fly to Vegas and link up with us there on Saturday. We'll be dropping in on Big-T Saturday night so you could make it an East Meets West thing. We'd have you back to Vegas Monday.

We had some great conversation with Gary (machinist for the spacer) who came by but couldn't find a wrench that fit his hand. SS Force wasn't so fortunate as he was put to work shortly after he showed up. That truck is cool. I ordered a set of Ladder Bars today. Those will be an added benefit when the break in is over and its time to put it down. He got the top Bell Housing bolts out and seeing what he did, I don't envy Ted leaning over the motor like that. Course, it would make an interesting picture.:hihi: Anyway, thanks loads Steve, it was good to see you again and your help was very much appreciated. Enjoy the stuff.

Orionthade was a no show. I talked with him yesterday and he sounded pretty bad. Flu! Nuff said other than 'get well soon.' We'll manage without the extra engine mount, you take care of yourself.

We started the day with the realization that the new oil return line wasn't thought of and needed so EVCO House of Hose ginned one up for us and provided the needed fittings to ensure the OPS and secondary oil pressure gauge sensors all had a home too. Differences in the 660 and 141 blocks made manifest.

Son-in-law "What's this do" came over with full intentions of helping and jumped right in. For a guy who knows about zip for wrenching, he's very willing to help and does so effectively. He may not understand but he'll ask good questions and listen and proves to be of great benifit. :thumbsup:

So we got all the nit-noid stuff disconnected, removed or moved out of the way and before the Pizza was ready, the old powerplant was free and released to the wild.
View attachment 36985

We started pulling the fuel line brackets, heat shields, water pump backing plate and such. Ted matched up injection lines using the old for comparison to attach the new. Buttoned up the Valve Covers etc. Still a lot of little things to do but we're getting there and the goal is to have the new engine in the hole tomorrow.:skep:

Glad to see the progress Paul, I'm sorry I wasnt able to be of more help to you. That engine looks gorgeous, you and Ted did a great job of shining her up before the transplant. It was awesome to have a change to work along side a few 6.5 Diesel heads. Thank you again for the gift as well. I have already picked the spot to place it, its just a matter of getting the time to do it. I have the feed the beast mod, turbo, fuel pressure gauge and liquid cooling lines for the turbo to figure out and do all at once. I have no room to complain though seeing as your project dwarfs mine. Keep us posted on your progress and when the new powerplant us up and pulling you around we'll get you measured up for those ladder bars to keep that rear end solid.

Pictures...sorry, been so far behind schedule that we haven't paused for many.

Working on the punch listed last night, we killed the morning trying to find suitable replacements at Double "D" Bolts, Strip Yards and finally ordering some of them through the Stealership. By the way, Upper intake bolts and T-Stat housing bolts are discontinued items now.

It was past 11 am before we started turning wrenches.
Motor at days start.
IMG_1480.jpg

Mounting wiring harness to fire wall with an LP bracket left over from year's ago, installing Raceday's GP Harness and, in hind sight, creating another task that had to be redone.:(
IMG_1475.jpg

OPS is mounted horizontally using a Brass 45* angle at the block, raised on a short male barrel to a 3 port female brass adaptor.
IMG_1479.jpg
The Oil return runs a "U-Turn" off the driver's side of the T and the OPS is connected to the "T" using another short male barrel connector to a to a double 90* female. Long explanation but the picture may not make sense with out some reference. I remember Turbine Doc had made a set up using brass connectors in the valley of his block after remoting his FFM. This one was more of a necessitiy but its functional.

A/C compressor held in place with high tech engineering devices
IMG_1474.jpg Functional and we didn't have to have the R whatever pulled out.

Garage Humor but that's where it's heading come September.
IMG_1478.jpg

Radiator and Fan Shroud in place.
IMG_1485.jpg

UPS showed up with a package from Oregon.
IMG_1483.jpg
ISSPRO EV2 Boost, Fuel & Oil Pressure, Transmission and Air Temperature. 3 gauge dash pod not shown.

Turbo Oil Return Line in place. Figured out the slight leak issue I was having so it should stay a little more asthetically pleasing.
IMG_1487.jpg

With a squirt of 30 weight oil in each cylinder for a little kick/air freshner I got the Air Intake set up with Peninsular and, yes, the spacer installed. As usual, nothing was easy.
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1491.jpg

So we worked through the punch list and more until we finally got the fuel line installed to the IP and batteries connected. Then it was time to 'light the fires.' Key on, no glow plug light (#$%^&*) and a quick turn of the key. The Air Dog pushed diesel fuel out the Wix FFM 'vent' all over the motor (this is why we can't have nice things....) and the engine puffed on the 30 weight for a couple of hits and then stopped. Key off, wait, key on, starter run with the expected 'no start' as fule lines from FFM to Injectors are new and dry. Bothersome was the lack of glow light and no Oil Pressure readings. So, it was key off and let the starter rest plus put a charger on the batteries.

It was 4:30 so we stopped for a break while everyone and the batteries recharged. After an hour we went back out and disconnected the turbo's oil feed line so we could check for flow. I keyed on and Ted pointed the feed line at the garage wall, er, pointed the feed line into the oil filler tube and when I hit the starter there was nothing... Key off. Hmm.
Hit it again after waiting for starter to cool, oil was gushing out the feed line and the engine seemed ready to catch. Key off. Hmm again only with a really good feeling now.

Key on, wait a second or two and turned the key....
So, how does one spell relief in Diesel Speak?
"E-N-G-I-N-E S-T-A-R-T!":partay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5PxpyFM-00&feature=youtu.be

We let it idle for about 20 minutes checking for leaks, listening for abnormalities, laughing out of stress relief etc. before reluctantly shutting it down. Starving, it was now time for a celebratory steak dinner.

Talk about Joy. I'm still grinning.IMG_2970.jpg

Tomorrow we still have some stuff to do before driving it for a bit.
P3 tuned ECM, coolant top off, splice in to Glow Plug circuit 503 at splice 136 to complete path to ECM to get glow plug signal, retighten the 4x4 filter adaptor as it's leaking :mad2:, retighten oil return line engine block plate, test run again to check for leaks, replace grill and bumper and then go for a ride.

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 18
thanks for the pics. sure wish I could've been there.
So do I Les, so do I.

I'll load up the Heath pictues later as it will take some time to caption stuff and multiple posts as I'm certain to exceed post limits.

Before shutting down I wish all to know that 635, Ted, has sacrificed a lot of time and energy seeing this project through from a year ago when he decided to 'sell' me the motor as parts. Todd was laid off at Heath before he could get it assembled but that turned out for the better with Bill accepting the responsibility and obligation out of friendship to do the job for me. Yes, he gets the credit for so very much of this success as the engine builder but one should not overlook Ted's lo$$, time, fuel, energy, wearyness and constant encouragement of me plus needling other's along when the delays became choices rather than circumstance driven. He's the Producer, Backer and Director over this whole drama.
THANKS TED, it wouldn't have happened without you and I'm forever grateful.

Man I wish I was there to hear her fire up. I can only imagine the joy your feeling after all the work you and Ted went through. The smile and thumbs up says it all.

:
Before shutting down I wish all to know that 635, Ted, has sacrificed a lot of time and energy seeing this project through from a year ago when he decided to 'sell' me the motor as parts. Todd was laid off at Heath before he could get it assembled but that turned out for the better with Bill accepting the responsibility and obligation out of friendship to do the job for me. Yes, he gets the credit for so very much of this success as the engine builder but one should not overlook Ted's lo$$, time, fuel, energy, wearyness and constant encouragement of me plus needling other's along when the delays became choices rather than circumstance driven. He's the Producer, Backer and Director over this whole drama.
THANKS TED, it wouldn't have happened without you and I'm forever grateful.

Don't forget to thank the members of the Academy who voted for you and all your adoring fans who've followed you throughout your trials and tribulations and all the little people who shall go unnamed like the counterman at your local O'Reily's and the guy down at Lowe's in the hardware department.:thumbsup:

Your baby deserves a feature article in Diesel Power when she's all buttoned up and broke in and with a good dyno run under her belt to prove what a 6.5 hybrid is capable of.

Allright Paul you n ur crew "got er done" !!!!! So proud that to me it started n had no real issues other than a couple leaks tgat are only needing tightening. I think ur wife and family are the real ones that made it a real project. They were in on it as much as possible and wow ur wife let you obsess over a truck and engine!!!! You are a blessed man with family and friends!!!!

The friendship you've experienced has far more value than anything in this instance. I believe most would agree. Congrats Paul!

Yes, Thank goodness for friendships and I appreciate all the kind words, ecouragment and support from the site's members too. Thank you.
I hate to see this thread come to an end though as it has been a lot of fun...so much fun that I have decided to keep it open for at least a couple of months.

I figure it will take about that long with my work schedule and Ted's travels to figure out how to get the motor out of the compartment again, confirm/find, fix and confirm repairs to what appears to be a rear main seal oil leak.....

Send flowers or tool donations (15mm wrenches prefered) to 537 W. Fox.....

No folks, I'm not kidding. If you want a "picture" of it, you can shut off your motor, crawl under the flex plate housing and hold a can of 3'n 1 oil over your face and release one drop every 3 seconds into your eyes.

Good news, its fixable.
Bad news, I'm D-O-N-E for the time being as is Ted. Tuckered out and emotionally drained.
Good news, I have time, "the Ox is slow but the earth is patient" and that's the attitude I'm trying to adopt...trying.
I can: 1) pull it my self with Orionthade's Cherry Picker parked here and I've my own engine stand; 2) finish some projects that couldn't be done with the pace we were working at (Tidy oop, wiring, gauges, etc.); 3) replace steering gear; 4) re-engineer the FFM bracket; 5) Get fitted for "SS-Force Ladder Bars" and host Ted for a couple of weekends starting in April to shove it back in the hole.

I want all here to know that as frustrated as I am with this set back, ya'll know it isn't the first one, I had a bad feeling there would be another one (although I wasn't expecting this kind of drama) and I'm going to get up in the morning and the sun will rise again in the West and all will be right with the world.

Tomorrow we'll get up, clean up the garage, put tools away, find the bolts, pack up a few hundred rounds of .45 and .223 and take Ted's truck up the hill and take out our frustrations on some well deserving targets and not the truck.

Great to see all you folks working together Paul.....congrats to everyone. Really sad for the rear seal leak....there are gallery plugs and cam plug back there too, might be one of those.

Take time to relax, obstacles are always smaller when we step back and look at them.....best to you and yours.

jim&jeff.

I've got a rear main seal tool you can borrow. I'd probably slide the tranny back rather than pull the engine. Been in your shoes before and it does suck!

Actually since it is a 660 block, with 2 piece rear main, it should be able to be done in the truck if the pan can be dropped (don't scratch it though).....best idea is to pull motor or tranny, as there are oil gallery plugs and cam plug on the back also, that should be verified before rear main bearing cap is disturbed.

Back