• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

Pictures being worth a thousand words, here's a couple of shots from the day.
Unload
16 Off Load.jpg

What's unique about the rocker assy?
17 Rocker Assy.jpg

Mains with almost zero end play
19 Alles in ordnung.jpg

It IS ALIVE!
18 Beast is Alive.jpg

Clean up done, Oil Pan going on. Studs used vs. Bolts
20 Oil Pan Set in.jpg

Mock up w/ valve covers (these will attach with studs as well)
21 Painted and rockers.jpg

Add intake
23 Mocked up for install.jpg

Rising the like the chandelier from Phantom of the Opera
22 Phantom of the Garage.jpg

Titanium Silver Pain Color came out a little lighter than what the can lid indicated.
Seems like the original color I was considering might have been the right choice but it was "Ford [somethingoranother]" Sorry, no way I' putting Ford anything on here unless there's no other option.
GTG tomorrow with Orion Thade and SS Force joining Ted 635 and anyone else who cares to drop in. All are welcome, "we have a wrench that will fit your hand."

Downloaded 180 pictures Bill took of the build. A couple show one of the P-400's (in the background) getting checked over for the Land Speed Racer next year (they are sponsoring Bill with motors). Turns out one of thier engineers is running a Heath cam and convinced the bosses to get behind the program. They want their motors wrung out without the new cams so he'll honor that wish. Watching that motor power the LSR down the salt flats is pretty high on the 'can't wait to see' list.

Looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it tomorrow. Drop me a line if you need anything on my way down tomorrow. Save you the trip.

Looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it tomorrow. Drop me a line if you need anything on my way down tomorrow. Save you the trip.

Thanks, I'll keep assist offer in mind. We only made one unscheduled trip up to O'Reilly's, to get a gasket kit for the Oil pan. The one I ordered was for a 6.5 with two piece rear main seal. The 6.2 block apparently takes one that is about a half inch shorter....Learing curve in effect. I'll have to remember that I don't have a '6.5' block and request parts accordingly. So we went up to get the part only to find they didn't have it in that store so we went back after another shop pushed the part to them. Life.

A lot of changes with this new block I'm sure. There comes a point when we go so far and so custom with our vehicles that you could never sell it. Not that I would ever want to. I just laugh at the thought of trying to explain to the buyer what they've gotten themselves into

So Paul, are you gonna be doing the geico pig's "WEEEEEEE!!!" Soon or what?
Shoot that pig. When its broke in, there shouldn't be breath enough from the "Gs" to say 'WOW' Hope springs eternal. In the meantime, we're having HAM, eggs and SAUSAGE for breakfast. Coffee and Soft drinks will give us the the A weeee factor for now.

Looks good. What ecm are you going to run with it?
Heck if I know. When Bill does my tunes, he puts goodies in for me that I don't find out about until later. That's the nature of the beast when one's volunteers as a Lab Rat "For the Team."

Then there's this set up. I was getting an HP3 Cam with P3 Tune. The cam, multiple deckings (Diesel Depot's "Looked like a mountain range" according our machinist) and new pistons didn't get along well so Bill put in a cam design 'he'd been working on for a while.' As for the tune, Ted says "it's up there" when asked if it was a 'hot tune.'

I'll find out what the Butt Dyno says after a couple of thousand miles of break in. Until then, it may as well be a Yugo motor for all the load I'll be putting on it. ROAD TRIP!

Looks like an adventure! Looking forward to the story and the pics!

It's always great to see a bunch of the guys getting together on a project... Especially great to see the evolution of the 6.5.

Still subscribed and enjoying it. Have a good wrenching weekend guys.

I bet a slow trip to Sandwich would break it in JUUUUSSST right to be ready for some hammer down time...:hihi:

Than again, I'd rather be in Pomona for the Nats myself...:D

Still subscribed and enjoying it. Have a good wrenching weekend guys.

I bet a slow trip to Sandwich would break it in JUUUUSSST right to be ready for some hammer down time...:hihi:

Than again, I'd rather be in Pomona for the Nats myself...:D

We could make it there Tuesday but have to be back for my son's graduation Wednesday... You could fly to Vegas and link up with us there on Saturday. We'll be dropping in on Big-T Saturday night so you could make it an East Meets West thing. We'd have you back to Vegas Monday.

We had some great conversation with Gary (machinist for the spacer) who came by but couldn't find a wrench that fit his hand. SS Force wasn't so fortunate as he was put to work shortly after he showed up. That truck is cool. I ordered a set of Ladder Bars today. Those will be an added benefit when the break in is over and its time to put it down. He got the top Bell Housing bolts out and seeing what he did, I don't envy Ted leaning over the motor like that. Course, it would make an interesting picture.:hihi: Anyway, thanks loads Steve, it was good to see you again and your help was very much appreciated. Enjoy the stuff.

Orionthade was a no show. I talked with him yesterday and he sounded pretty bad. Flu! Nuff said other than 'get well soon.' We'll manage without the extra engine mount, you take care of yourself.

We started the day with the realization that the new oil return line wasn't thought of and needed so EVCO House of Hose ginned one up for us and provided the needed fittings to ensure the OPS and secondary oil pressure gauge sensors all had a home too. Differences in the 660 and 141 blocks made manifest.

Son-in-law "What's this do" came over with full intentions of helping and jumped right in. For a guy who knows about zip for wrenching, he's very willing to help and does so effectively. He may not understand but he'll ask good questions and listen and proves to be of great benifit. :thumbsup:

So we got all the nit-noid stuff disconnected, removed or moved out of the way and before the Pizza was ready, the old powerplant was free and released to the wild.
IMG_1463.jpg

We started pulling the fuel line brackets, heat shields, water pump backing plate and such. Ted matched up injection lines using the old for comparison to attach the new. Buttoned up the Valve Covers etc. Still a lot of little things to do but we're getting there and the goal is to have the new engine in the hole tomorrow.:skep:

We could make it there Tuesday but have to be back for my son's graduation Wednesday... You could fly to Vegas and link up with us there on Saturday. We'll be dropping in on Big-T Saturday night so you could make it an East Meets West thing. We'd have you back to Vegas Monday.

We had some great conversation with Gary (machinist for the spacer) who came by but couldn't find a wrench that fit his hand. SS Force wasn't so fortunate as he was put to work shortly after he showed up. That truck is cool. I ordered a set of Ladder Bars today. Those will be an added benefit when the break in is over and its time to put it down. He got the top Bell Housing bolts out and seeing what he did, I don't envy Ted leaning over the motor like that. Course, it would make an interesting picture.:hihi: Anyway, thanks loads Steve, it was good to see you again and your help was very much appreciated. Enjoy the stuff.

Orionthade was a no show. I talked with him yesterday and he sounded pretty bad. Flu! Nuff said other than 'get well soon.' We'll manage without the extra engine mount, you take care of yourself.

We started the day with the realization that the new oil return line wasn't thought of and needed so EVCO House of Hose ginned one up for us and provided the needed fittings to ensure the OPS and secondary oil pressure gauge sensors all had a home too. Differences in the 660 and 141 blocks made manifest.

Son-in-law "What's this do" came over with full intentions of helping and jumped right in. For a guy who knows about zip for wrenching, he's very willing to help and does so effectively. He may not understand but he'll ask good questions and listen and proves to be of great benifit. :thumbsup:

So we got all the nit-noid stuff disconnected, removed or moved out of the way and before the Pizza was ready, the old powerplant was free and released to the wild.
View attachment 36985

We started pulling the fuel line brackets, heat shields, water pump backing plate and such. Ted matched up injection lines using the old for comparison to attach the new. Buttoned up the Valve Covers etc. Still a lot of little things to do but we're getting there and the goal is to have the new engine in the hole tomorrow.:skep:

Wow, There are alot of great 6.5TD knowledge at your house! I wish I would have known. I would have flown in with my tool box, and my broken back to help out, or even supervise.:thumbsup:

Well, it's in. Not running yet but there's all the buttoning up to do and the finding of bolts.

My daughter got involved today. She's always enjoyed helping me around the cars and truck so today she put on some old clothes, grabbed some gloves and jumped in.
28 Daddys Helper.jpg

Picked up the parts for today from NAPA consisting of the HB Pulley, Serp Belt, Water Temp sender, OPS and what not.
Installed fuel line clips, Heat shield bracket, Fuel Line support bracket, Water pump and backing plate, motor mounts, exhaust manifold, 4x4 oil adapter, etc.

Suddenly it was 'Lets put 'er in' time. Son-in-law & Ted on top side maneuver; Daughter on the cherry picker controls; my wife on camera and me underneath.
37.jpg

34 In with the new.jpg

43.jpg

It went in pretty well with the usual jostling etc. All I can say for you guys who do this by yourselves, you have my admiration and pitty.

Bolted up some stuff like the flex plate, flex plate cover, brackets, and will finish it up tomorrow with the rest of the stuff that goes on. Then its "Kick the Tires and Light the Fires."

Sounds like you're "kickin' ass and takin' names" on the project, Paul. Yeah, I can attest to yanking an engine by yourself is a royal PIA, compounded by having to do it on the driveway, which happens rise about 2 1/2' in the 25' from the curb to the garage door so one is constantly fighting the gravity well that wants to make the whole picker and motor want to either slam itself into the firewall, take off in a direction other than the one you're trying to maneuver in, or turn your back into shredded wheat when you try to push the damn thing up hill and into the garage. Why out on the driveway? Because my house is a split-foyer with the garage stall part of the drive in basement, so the ceiling height is only 8', not enough clearance for the picker boom to lift high enough to clear a motor in and out - even with the front grill/radiator/support pulled. With a 7' high garage door it is a tight squeeze for the roof rack on the 'Burb to clear, and the C2500 wouldn't fit in the garage with rack on the utility box, let alone with all the ladders and brake on the rack.

Well, like the wisdom of Roger's passed to his Rangers, "Have a Plan. Then, have a back up plan cause the first one won't work.
BLUF. First Start tomorrow.
Longer Story: The parts gnomes came and moved, hid or stole parts and tools. I know my 'help' wouldn't dream of not putting bolts from one component into a container and mark it as asked so there's no other explaination. Their favorite tool to hide is the 15mm wrenches and sockets and their favorite parts besides Turbo nuts and other bolts are the T-state housing and t'-stat gaskets. I just don't get it! Then again, Ted says, "it's all Limey's Fault" (old, inside joke between the three of us). Speaking of whom, we got a very nice call from "Sunshine" today. He's in this thing with us in spirit and I know if time and health allowed, he'd be here taking the blame in person. Get well soon Paul R, we have more traveling to do in October.

Then theres the magic properties of penetrating oil, it seems to have shrunk the bolts for the exhaust manifolds as the three remaining ones are too short to fit the left / passenger's side. The ones on the driver's side are, according to reports, all correct so there's no other choice but to go on a hunt for 9.9 grade, M10 1.5 pitch 85 mm bolts. Funny how O'Reilly, NAPA, AutoZone etc. don't really have 'everything you need to get back on the road' in their stores or even in their inventory. Tomorrow to the strip yard and/or to "Double D Bolts" for the best alternates. Worst case scenario is to head to a Stealership and order complete kits. I'm rectal retentive and want it 'the way [I think] it should be' to be right.

Still, besides three trips to O'Reilly and one each to NAPA, Lowes & Home Depot we managed finish bolting up the bell housing, run the wiring harness under the IP and up to the AC compressor and block coolant temp sender. Pluse we got installed: Power Steering bracket, Alternator bracket & Alternator, oil cooler lines, block heater, glow plug wiring from Raceday, Starter, passenger manifold (minus a few bolts), GP Heat Shields, cross over pipe, HB Pulley, Block coolant temperature sender, FSD Solenoid, lower intake manifold and the biggest issue of the day...T-Stat manifold. FWIW, the exhaust/cross over studs sold by Rock Auto only really apply to the driver's side as they are too long to work on the passenger side. They prevent the flange bracket or whatever it is called to go over the bell housing. Stick with the correct sized bolts on that side.

Tomorrow the missing and shrunken bolts will be sourced and corrected, radiator and hoses installed, Radiator replaced and filled, Oil cooler connected and oil poured in, sensors connected, Fan Clutch & Fan, air cleaner attached and batteries installed (I'm sure I'm missing something) and connected and then we'll see if it will light off. I just noticed that there's a delivery from ISSPRO scheduled for tomorrow too so there's something to do to keep us busy. I want to ensure I've got a secondary Oil Pressure gauge up high as well as finally get a fuel pressure gauge in there.

Doubters and skeptics!:confused5:

Attached is documentation and proof of missing bolts and parts hidden by invisible Gnomes. I can't make this stuff up and wouldn't lie. Besides, its the internet and the rules are 'you can't print it if it isn't true' right.:skep:

Attachments

• Missing bolt and parts Documentation.pdf
    78.1 KB · Views: 8
Back