• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

When I pulled a friends 6.5 out we remove the radiator and the just took the front tires off and set the truck on the ground with some wood blocks under the lower ball joint. this allowed us to take the engine out without removing any of the front support and grille.

I would be very gratefull for any and all of your help. I need to "borrow" your engine stand at least.
Boym, having done these swaps at least thrice (6.5s) by yourself and Ted having done five in the last few months solo moves you both to Supervisory status. He's hoping that this is the last one and is looking forward to having help. Then again, there's the old addage, "One boy does the work of one boy; Two boys do the work of half a boy; Three boys do no work at all."I'll pull what I can of the front clip on Friday afternoon. I'll burn some comp. time that day to do so.
I think if we could get the motor out on Saturday, brace the tranny so we can roll the truck back to make room for maneuvering the old motor out of the way and the new motor to the front, we will be way ahead of the deal. I'm reluctant to remove the front core support (AC Condensor) but will do what you recommend. I will have Ross Hayner purge the A/C to make working around that system less worrysome.
Once Ted shows up, we can unload the engine and get inside to start warming the block so it can be cleaned and painted.
Then, Chrome goes on, lines go on, GPs and Injectors, Fluid Dampener....

By the way, Congratulations to you on the new job. I know how good it feels to be working again.

Ted, Thanks a million for all you've been doing to keep things moving forward as best you could. So very much appreciated.

You guys should be able to drop it in without tearing down the nose. I put my engine in/pulled the old one with my radiator still in the truck. The problem I ran into was since the 6.5 sits back so far, I had a hard time getting the bell housing area back under the firewall. It might have been easier if I had the intake off,but I had already swapped it over....:mad2:

I damaged my glow plug relay so it no longer worked, because I also had it on the new motor....:eek:

Since I have a 6" lift, and 37" tires, I just let the air out of them, so the engine lift would clear the core support with the engine hanging from it. I couldnt have pulled a piece of paper out from between the engine oil pan and the core support, but hey, it worked.....:thumbsup:

I start a new job on Monday, so I won't be as flexible as I have been this past year, but I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

Congrats on the new job. I started a new one a week and a half ago. Finding most construction companies want 6 months of over the road trucking to run heavy equipment, I went to work for a division of Navajo Express. Yep I now live life away from home and driving down the snowy roads at 70mph pulling almost 80k lbs. Fun stuff, not!

Congrats on the new job. I started a new one a week and a half ago. Finding most construction companies want 6 months of over the road trucking to run heavy equipment, I went to work for a division of Navajo Express. Yep I now live life away from home and driving down the snowy roads at 70mph pulling almost 80k lbs. Fun stuff, not!

I'm happy for both of you. Having a job sure helps reduce the stress level. I know you have been looking for a steady job for some time now John, so that's some real good news.

Don

I hope not for long. This is just to fill the requirements of alot of mining and construction companies. I need 6 months at least.

When I pulled a friends 6.5 out we remove the radiator and the just took the front tires off and set the truck on the ground with some wood blocks under the lower ball joint. this allowed us to take the engine out without removing any of the front support and grille.

You guys should be able to drop it in without tearing down the nose. I put my engine in/pulled the old one with my radiator still in the truck. The problem I ran into was since the 6.5 sits back so far, I had a hard time getting the bell housing area back under the firewall. It might have been easier if I had the intake off,but I had already swapped it over....:mad2:

I damaged my glow plug relay so it no longer worked, because I also had it on the new motor....:eek:

Since I have a 6" lift, and 37" tires, I just let the air out of them, so the engine lift would clear the core support with the engine hanging from it. I couldnt have pulled a piece of paper out from between the engine oil pan and the core support, but hey, it worked.....:thumbsup:

Thanks, the removal of the front clip was just one of my 'make it easier thoughts' that made its way out to the keyboard. Bad keyboard...
If I was really smart, I'd take the whole crew down to Arizona where its warm, maybe a GTG at Warwagon's?
I'll remove radiator (newer one going in), batteries, & Fenderwells. The bell housing bolts should be easier in my case as the sound / insulation panels from the firewall are already removed giving a bit more room to work around. I'll pull the auxilliary items off the old motor and replace after the new motor goes in: Turbo, intakes, GP Relay (thanks for that tip); FFM and whatever else becomes obvious as the work progresses. Really looking forward to this but prepared for the inevitable delay.

Really looking forward to this but prepared for the inevitable delay.

What could possibly go wrong. You will have the needed items off the front of your pickup. A good mechanic working with you also, not me! I mean you have everything needed at your place!!

Wait a minute, you still need an engine!

Thinking that part should be taken care of very soon too!

Paul, I'm not sure whos more excited. You or the rest of us! Can't wait for the 'IT'S ALIVE' post. Along with all the usual pics!
Heard that! I hope to have a couple of SD cards full of photos of the build as that was promised to me as well (I even supplied the camera). We'll take a few photos. Hopefully nothing as pretty as Orrum's toes though...Safety first.
RockAuto Fairy swung by again today. So far I've received: Oilpan, Valve Cover, Upper & Lower intake gaskets; Oil Fill Tube grommet; Exhaust manifold doughnuts & Stud kit; upper, lower and mid Radiator Hoses; coolant manifold gaskets; Steering Gear (why not) and I can't recall what all else to match the stuff from Peninsular.

RockAuto Fairy swung by again today. So far I've received: Oilpan, Valve Cover, Upper & Lower intake gaskets; Oil Fill Tube grommet; Exhaust manifold doughnuts & Stud kit; upper, lower and mid Radiator Hoses; coolant manifold gaskets; Steering Gear (why not) and I can't recall what all else to match the stuff from Peninsular.

Wow, Paul, with that list of parts it sounds like you're building a whole new truck around your old cab :hihi:! We'll all have to get together some time when it's up and running and see it go through its paces and give you a well deserved congratulations :grouphug:

On MY good news front, I started my new job last week. It pays half of what I was making before the accident, but half of that is still more than the nothing I was making the past year and a half since Work Comp ended. Good news is that I'm in a fast-track management training program, so I should start making more money as I train up and move up.

Wow, Paul, with that list of parts it sounds like you're building a whole new truck around your old cab :hihi:! We'll all have to get together some time when it's up and running and see it go through its paces and give you a well deserved congratulations :grouphug:

On MY good news front, I started my new job last week. It pays half of what I was making before the accident, but half of that is still more than the nothing I was making the past year and a half since Work Comp ended. Good news is that I'm in a fast-track management training program, so I should start making more money as I train up and move up.

I'm blessed with a good job and I congratulate you on your new employment. Good luck to you and may the promotions come as fast as you can progress.

New Truck. Yeah, I noticed one of the tail lights is crushed. Great. First one of the spawn leaves the HID reverse lights on for 10 miles (melted the housings a bit), now the garage door takes out a tail light! Still, the truck remains a hobby and a very reliable tool when needed. The build, even if its slower at times than desired, is still a positive experience. Besides, the delays allow for the aquisition of recommended items for new motors and/or 200K miles trucks. At least they can be purchased over time without crushing the budget or racking up debt. These recent purchases have been on the 'to do when the motor is ready' list for some time. The motor is about ready so time to order so it can all get done while its all apart.
Oil Cooler assy from Greg arrived Monday too.

Thank goodness for the LMC catalog and eBay for body parts, upgrades and assorted bits and pieces for our oldie but still goody rides!

Paul what u gonna do with ur old parts? I think you should put a override glow plug thingy from Leroybon it while its out, helps when you are in those in between temps that its not warm enough to start easy but not cold enough to get them to glow. I have a lotbof trouble with that n the fall.

Stylin Trucks has better prices on the same stocked items as LMC. E-Bay is a help but Rockauto's return policy is easier to use. Craigs list...I just can't get past that peace sign they use in their logo...
I choose O'Reilly's over NAPA for most things because it's 14 miles vs. 30 round trip and I don't usually by the store brand parts anyway.

The old parts that are still servicable will get cleaned up and shelved. I plan on a Burb or a Tahoe some day and as I'm planning on rebuilding this 141 block over time, one of those will make a nice place to hold it when its done.

I went for a ride in SSForce's 97 2500 6.5 today. What a hoot. He lives north of me about 45 min. and I saw his truck in a photo shoot linked off his sig block at the Place (yes, I've invited him here). He's done some nice work and his dad is a fabricator on the side. He made a set of ladder bars for it and has offered to make a set for mine as well. It should help keep things from twisting around back there once the power can be applied. More stuff...YAY!

Back