• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

Had a 1985 GMC 3+3 454 dually n the running boards had a pipe in them that were air tanks. U want to air up the front tires for hauling a load u attach a air hose n pump them up. U had to refill at a gas station. That truck drove great with low pressure in the front tires. Dont know where they came from, were on it when I got it from a dealer, who told me what they were for. You sooty greasey GM wrenchers come up with unique solutions. Paul great that ya got your truck back and rolling pardner!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Hard to tell from the picture. But where are the filler caps on those running/fuel boards?
I'm not certain either. I do know he's having one modified as the filler neck is in an incompatable spot. Fabricator will remove it, punch a new hole, use the disk to patch the old spot and reweld the neck up where it will work for him.

Had a 1985 GMC 3+3 454 dually n the running boards had a pipe in them that were air tanks. U want to air up the front tires for hauling a load u attach a air hose n pump them up. U had to refill at a gas station. That truck drove great with low pressure in the front tires. Dont know where they came from, were on it when I got it from a dealer, who told me what they were for. You sooty greasey GM wrenchers come up with unique solutions. Paul great that ya got your truck back and rolling pardner!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Congratulating Me? I'm more pleased that you're up and running again, much more so than the truck.

As for the build, I still say you'll be done before the truck's motor is.

In the meantime, I decided to get another diesel motor while I wait for the truck's build to get done. This one is less than half the size of the 6.5, and yet, gets more than twice the fuel mileage. Long story is that the gasser Passat was leaking again...oil this time. Like the delays on the 6.5 rebuild (which is why this story is relative to the thread) its just one thing after another. Water Pump was leaking last fall for $1000, in May the thing was running like junk all of a sudden and $750 later it still wasn't right. The valve cover has been seeping for months, then the drama with the oil cooler leaking and pushing oil into the cooling system and the time, effort and $350 to get that system flushed and then last Thursday it starts leaving about an 8x11" oil slick under the car every night:???: Figures, I just paid the thing off....

So, "Out with the old {Silver) and in with the new!"
IMG_1195.jpg
It's the Frau's birthday this Saturday and she hates the Passat as its too big to her so I will pass the Jetta to her...again (she stole my 2001 TDI about a month into ownership) and I'll suffer with this one. What can I say...I'm a giver:D

Hey next time your dealing with those cold rubber lines do yourself the favor I did! Dirt cheap at Harbor Freight.....HEAT GUN! Always thought that it would be kinda handy. But they were expensive and I am a tightwad! Pick up a hair dryer for a buck at a yard sale. Got the job done anyway. They are 15 bucks at HF and wow! Huge difference and I use it constantly!

Glad your getting close and that Im not the only one taking forever to get a truck done! Well not forever but you know what I mean! lol.

Atleast you guys get started! Lol

my 93 K3500 has been parked and dismantled in my shop since July! I'm at the put parts in point finally.

Got the parts back from the powder coater. Not bad, not as 'chrome' as I was lead to believe but I'm happy with the results.
IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg
See Mike, no purple. Now the spacer just blends in...BOREING!:thumbsdown:

Hard to tell from the picture. But where are the filler caps on those running/fuel boards?

Look at the space between the pickup bed and the cab, there you will see the filler neck.
Passenger side will be seen a lot easier because of the location of my spare tire and wheel side mount. It will be just forward of the tire.

Hey Paul, they look real nice! I've debated on doing that or polishing them. I want to see if edlebrock will do the coating. It seems they have the patent on 'black chrome'.

Hey Paul, they look real nice! I've debated on doing that or polishing them. I want to see if edlebrock will do the coating. It seems they have the patent on 'black chrome'.
Black Chrome sounds like an awesome coating choice.
Thanks for the compliments all. After the many hours of cleaning the parts up only to have them turned into aged pewter, I did want finished product closer to actual Chrome or polished aluminum. Truth be told, even this latest group of guys a Creer Metal goofed up. They cleaned things up with their media blaster and despite being told not to; they blasted the piss out of the spacer's machined aluminum finish. They asked what I wanted them to do...duh. "Get out your polishing wheels and make it shiny again, what do you think I want done?" The finished product is a couple of notches down from what I was shown from the book sample but at this point, They look fine. Besides, I'm at "don't let perfection get in the way of good enough" with this part of the project.
The coatings real purpose is to aid in the cleanup. Just the way I am I guess. Don't mind getting stuff dirty, don't like it to stay that way.

Paul u r old school hotrod with the chrome. I like chrome too. Nowadays everybody has powdercoat wheels, I like chrome! Looks nice tho. Congrats on the wifey giving you ur car back. I look forward to meeting that woman, lets her husband destroy the garage walls with diesel n other greasy problems, my kinda woman! LOL Life is good in Carolina Paul, furnace not been on in 4 days, seventies, come visit pardner!

Back