• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

Thanks guys. Your supportive comments have put a pretty big smile on my face tonight. Especially 635's update. Lots to be optimistic about.
I spent the better part of the day working on the Air Dog II. Was planning on installing it if all went well...it did and it didn't. Good thing I didn't perform any tear down on the Walbro set up cause I didn't even get to turn a wrench on the truck.
But, I have some detailed drawings to scale from all the measurements taken.
The mounting brackets are cut to fit, I know where to drill the frame.
I fabbed up a spacer that will not work the way I want/need it too and that's a good thing to recognize before failure down the line.
Then I decided to re-orient the pump to minimize all the fuel 'U-Turns' in the fuel flow the way it was initially set up.
Now I have to wait a week or so...another business trip this week starting tomorrow and ending Friday.

Now I'm the one that is running low time. Still have to finish the FS2500 set ups and get the intake stuff to be anodized.

Oh, the 4 X 4 is working. Seems that it wasn't the Actuator, Axle Switch, Transaxle Switch, or bad relay (as mine doesn't have one, only the 3500s have that??). No, it was on the passenger side of the front differential. The 'Fork' wasn't able to get pushed over by the Actuator. Reason being, there is a large washer that should go over the axle extention (my words for the part) because of some previous work. That had 'slipped' and was blocking the works up. Apparently, it worked previous to this because the axle had punched a section of the washer out to engage but eventually it had had enough.
The only thing I've done to the front drive line is replace CV half shafts and steering/suspension stuff. I'm guilty of not changing out the front fluid either and believe me, when I did last week there were more than a fair share of small metal filings in the solution. I stuck a small parts retriever magnet in there more times than I care to admit, and I'll admit to a lot of 'learning curve' goofs. I had to take it to my favorite "Shade Tree" mechanic who figured it out and made the repairs.
Pictures for the <1000 word crowd will have to wait.

Differential Pictures as stated. This should help explain my poor terminology.

Here's the "fork" set up. Note the scaring/scoring on the internal part edges.:???:
Differential Fork assy.jpg

Here's the "Washer" with a the bite out of it. More :???:
Differential Washer Fault.jpg
I know what caused the bite, but what would cause that washer to slip into that position, allow a bit out of it, still actuate for the past 5 years and then stop working?:skep:

I know...repost in the 'drivetrain' forum and stop derailing threads...:rof:

I hope it is just the camera angle. The left hole looks a little pushed to the upper left as well. "Positive waves man."

Hopefully your front diff isn't giving up the ghost. Last thing you need is to get the new engine in and have something go "clunk" and land on the road!

Just to kill some time, I went over to Paveltolz's place and we threw his ATT on my truck to see what it would do with a stock tune and a manual transmission.

It was only a two hour job. Not too bad, all things considered.

Yeah, start at 6:30 pm Mountain Standard Time and finished about 8:30 pm where Mutava is. Now where did you put that exhaust T-bolt nut?

No, we didn't have the nice weather, unless ice cycles hanging off the bottom of the truck INSIDE the garage is considered nice. That 2500 CCLB's butt was sticking out the garage door like an elephant with its nose under a tent flap. We couldn't close it and the temps suddenly dropped between toboggan runs on the road across the lake to get a piece of 5/8" fuel hose. Reading the directions for an ATT swap would have shortened this latest voyage in "Gilligan's Garage" ("A three hour tour/two hour job" my a$$). Closer inspection of the ATT after getting it back from the last loaner program would have helped too. Missing studs, nuts, oil filler tube bolts….sleep is for the weak!

Hey now. She's a 3500, not a 2500.

Some people's kids ...

:hihi:
Feeling like a corrected father at the dinner table, I have to say that you're pretty close to adoption status....:hello:

"The bond that unites the True Family is not one of blood, but of mutual respect in each other's lives." :thumbsup:
Richard Bach, author, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

And how do we like the ATT on a stock truck? Where is this thread? lol

So far I think I like it. I spoke with Dennis tonight for about an hour about the turbo and some of the things he's done in his tune.

I have a couple of kinks to work out with my install. I'm running an S intake on my F motor, which isn't sealing all the way because we didn't have the right bolts. Regardless of what I do, I'm replacing the GM-4, so I'm going to go ahead and modify my upper intake to accept it. I need to trim my AFE intake to fit a bit better. And I need to get a better upper-intake to turbo outlet hose.

As for stock truck, I don't think it's going to be that way for long.

As for stock truck, I don't think it's going to be that way for long.
:thumbsup:
I have diner an F intake (OEM) as a spare should you need to revert or an extra Peninsular set up if you care to go that route (minus the spacer, done with that!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have diner an F intake (OEM) as a spare should you need to revert or an extra Peninsular set up if you care to go that route (minus the spacer, done with that!).

I see my iThumb got away from me again. So, Correction: "I have another F intake (OEM) as a spare should you need to revert. I also have an extra Peninsular set up if you care to go that route (minus the spacer, done with that!)."

By "done with that" I mean I'm not creating another spacer. I'll stick with just the one.

In fact, today I took it off along with the rest of the Peninsular set up and put the old OEM upper intake on. Not a permanent thing. I took all the parts in to get anodized and the steel elbow done in nickle plate. And, believe it or not Mike, the purple spacer is getting stripped and redone in a clear finish. A token of respect to my friend Gary who did all the coding and machining on it in the first place and didn't care for the purple color either.
Anyway, for the time being until the parts get back, the intake is pretty much OEM except its "F" vs. the "S" upper which is now sitting on Orion's 3500 (happy now?).

The "S" intake came off today. I cut mine down, cut out that circular ... thing ... in the center, trimmed the inlet side of the AFE down and trimmed the silicone coupler down.

Still getting a bit of a "growl" at 1500 RPM. Slim Shady thought it was an intake leak. It's less pronounced than it was before, but it's there. Really odd.

I punched it on the freeway. Hit 14 lbs of boost and 80 mph by the end of the on ramp. Definitely more seat of the pants power.

And, believe it or not Mike, the purple spacer is getting stripped and redone in a clear finish. A token of respect to my friend Gary who did all the coding and machining on it in the first place and didn't care for the purple color either.
Anyway, for the time being until the parts get back, the intake is pretty much OEM except its "F" vs. the "S" upper which is now sitting on Orion's 3500 (happy now?).

:D WOOHOO!!! :cheers2: :hurray:

I have NO idea how I'll recognize your new motor build though...:nonod:

:hihi:

The "S" intake came off today. I cut mine down, cut out that circular ... thing ... in the center, trimmed the inlet side of the AFE down and trimmed the silicone coupler down.

Still getting a bit of a "growl" at 1500 RPM. Slim Shady thought it was an intake leak. It's less pronounced than it was before, but it's there. Really odd.

I punched it on the freeway. Hit 14 lbs of boost and 80 mph by the end of the on ramp. Definitely more seat of the pants power.

No defuel?

No defuel?

No de-fuel. Doesn't de-fuel only happen with sustained ( >10 sec) overboost? Even still, I've hit 20 lbs before without de-fuel.

I'm not convinced that a PO didn't jack with something. The electrical in this rig is fubar. I've cleaned a fair amount of it up, but still a mess.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Back