• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

When you coming back my way? Gotta make sure we have more time next time.
I'm not sure. Maybe some time when the heat is off the land like in the spring. I was going to go to South Africa around Memorial Day but that will probably cancel do to work. I'm traveling the southwest pretty exclusively these days. Developing Military Training Exercise locations in Utah for Conventional and Special Operations forces in locations primarily off-military reservations. Lots of meetings with State, County, Civil, Tribal, BLM, Forest Service, etc. plus all the coordination meetings with the participating units. My focus area is Utah and Nevada but I'm only one deep so it's pretty much just Utah. 635 is going to help with one next June (he was going to go to South Africa too but....).
Maybe I should host a two week GTG and members can drop in anytime over that period and drive Special Forces guys around in the dead of night...:AR15firing:
Hardly stealthy though:rof:
Anyone got a couple of weeks to spare? Will assist with fuel once here and all the MRE's your diet can stand.:thumbsup:

Not sure about Pioneer, but definately going over the top a bit. Boredome I guess.

4x4 actuator upgrade from the old Thermal unit completed. There's something else wrong though because 4x4 still isn't engaging. Time to dig out the multi-meter and the test listings and start checking voltages etc. Something else to do in the meantime.
Two week road trip coming up though so I'm not in a big hurry. Wouldn't matter if I was I guess.

Check the wiring on the transfer case. Mine broke. I fixed it by running a switch into the cab to engage the actuator. Now I have 2LO if I need it.

Let's get together when you're back in town and I'll give you a hand with it.

I'm not sure. Maybe some time when the heat is off the land like in the spring. I was going to go to South Africa around Memorial Day but that will probably cancel do to work. I'm traveling the southwest pretty exclusively these days. Developing Military Training Exercise locations in Utah for Conventional and Special Operations forces in locations primarily off-military reservations. Lots of meetings with State, County, Civil, Tribal, BLM, Forest Service, etc. plus all the coordination meetings with the participating units. My focus area is Utah and Nevada but I'm only one deep so it's pretty much just Utah. 635 is going to help with one next June (he was going to go to South Africa too but....).
Maybe I should host a two week GTG and members can drop in anytime over that period and drive Special Forces guys around in the dead of night...:AR15firing:
Anyone got a couple of weeks to spare? Will assist with fuel once here and all the MRE's your diet can stand.:thumbsup:

Didn't you already volunteer my truck? :hihi:

Check the wiring on the transfer case. Mine broke. I fixed it by running a switch into the cab to engage the actuator. Now I have 2LO if I need it.

Let's get together when you're back in town and I'll give you a hand with it.
Thanks, it sounds like a plan. I have the test checklist to confirm / deny the wiring or isolate components.

Didn't you already volunteer my truck? :hihi:
Who ME?

To Recap from the other 'death by delay' thread, "Fun with Ted, Todd....":
I bought a 'some assembly required' motor in pieces from 635 (Ted) and have had a few set backs. In the meantime, the scheduled builder, Todd, got his truck done in April/May and then abruptly left Heath Diesel which left me and Ted looking for ways to complete our projects which Todd was paid in advance to complete in his off hours at Heaths (run on sentance, sorry). Well, that didn't happen so after way more than his fair share of setbacks and supply issues, Ted is now back in the 6.5ish family again with his truck running as of today.:hello: Only took a year longer than it should have.

Bill had volunteered to build my engine as a personal favor when Todd left me in the lurch. Wow. That's friendship.
A while back I had discussed his building an engine for me and it was explained that it was more economical to just buy one as it's not his norm to build/install motors other than for his personal or business uses. Then in a moment of extreme need, he offered to complete my project. However with some business issues arising about the same time Todd left, that wasn't going to happen with any real timeline. Things are settling down and with Ted's project completed, its officially my turn.

The issue with the pistons possibly being too tall was the latest set back. Bill's done some more measuring and such and notified me there's room to use the existing Mahle pistons and Heath HP? cam with the thicker Felpro gaskets after some minor modification to the piston faces. It's just the same deal of finding the guy with the right skill sets and time but, no worries...'the ox is slow but the earth is patient" and I'm not in need. Good thing too because mine was originally scheduled for completion in May, 2012.

This truck's current motor still hauls the mail and definately hauls its own weight in sandbags. Once the engine is assembled to the point that even I can't mess it up, Ted will bring it down to me and we'll take a week or so to finish installing the rest of the stuff and complete the swap. OrionThade and I have shared enough time and wrench stuff that he'll probably want to get involved too (plus I've got his cherry picker). Pictures will follow once I get the motor and camera back.

That seems to be huge project so best of luck guys

I guess I could spare a feew weeks. Started a job and have yet to get a full day of work. Hell today I'm not even going in. I need to get over there and go visit the mines and the two pits.

That seems to be huge project so best of luck guys
The delays, while inevitable, have been irksome but overall things are working out. I understand that there is a possibility that work will recommence soon. Hope springs eternal.

I guess I could spare a feew weeks. Started a job and have yet to get a full day of work. Hell today I'm not even going in. I need to get over there and go visit the mines and the two pits.

If that is all the 'work' you're getting, it couldn't hurt to come on down and find out what they can do for you at the big pit. This weekend's weather is supposed to suck though, unless you're going skiing. I'm headed to CA for the NHRA finals instead.

You guys going to come over for the dyno day on the 17th again? Could be a fun day with us taking over again.

Time, I have plenty of for the foreseeable future. With the Burb, wheel the VIP's around in style! Now all I need to do is drag out those old black out drive lights I "borrowed" off of a 113 way back in the day, relamp them for 12V and rig them up on the Burb for some night ops.... 12 hour hop down I-80 and I'm there.

Anyone else have issues with the nugs at "Filtration Solutions, FS-2500" returning communications? I've sent emails once a week with absolute ZERO response. What happened, they shut doors due to Obambie Care? Just one simple question, "can I get a copy of their install instructions for the 6.5 so I can ensure there's know real differences that I'm seeing in the posted document for the D-Max.

Anyone here know what the threads are for the 4L80E cooler lines attaching to the transmission? I'm sure I won't get that answer from FS either.

Anyone else have issues with the nugs at "Filtration Solutions, FS-2500" returning communications? I've sent emails once a week with absolute ZERO response. What happened, they shut doors due to Obambie Care? Just one simple question, "can I get a copy of their install instructions for the 6.5 so I can ensure there's know real differences that I'm seeing in the posted document for the D-Max.

Anyone here know what the threads are for the 4L80E cooler lines attaching to the transmission? I'm sure I won't get that answer from FS either.

Threads in the case are 1/4" NPT. (tapered pipe thread)

IIRC the top fitting is the pressure side, or 'out'...

Use green loctite anerobic sealant.. Teflon tape is a no-no, can crack the case when torqing down.

Threads in the case are 1/4" NPT. (tapered pipe thread)

IIRC the top fitting is the pressure side, or 'out'...

Use green loctitie anerobic sealant.. Teflon tape is a no-no, can crack the case when torqing down.

Excellent, the fittings I have in the kit will work perfectly. Thanks very much for the added information, I'd have reached for the tape...

Called Filtration Solutions World Wide. They answered on the second ring!
I said, "That answers my first question; Are [they] still in business?" Told her my frustration with not getting responses to 'Contact Us' and she said the could answer the questions/issues and she did but I haven't received the instructions as promised yet. I do need to check the hoses and fittings as she said the fittings were not "Dash 6" but "Dash 4" for the GM-6.5 pick up trucks. That's going to chap me cause I remembered them as being Dash 6 which is what I picked up at the Auto Meter tent yesterday in Pomona. So, I'll check things out when I get home from Colorado Springs Friday and make adjustments as needed. Good/bad news is, I'll be in Pomona in February so I can exchange them for something esle cause I want to put these in soon. In the mean time I can the correct stuff from Evco House of Hoses over by Orionthade's. Good excuse to drop in and say hi. Anyway, all in all a good conversation but like a lot of businesses these days, you got to pin them down to get what you need. Weird in these economic times.

Can you get 1/4"NPT to -6 adapters for the trans so you can run the hoses you have..? (though I don't know what you want to end up with ultimately..:eek:)

ANfittins dot com has then. Not much they don't have. Good prices too. I've used them several times and are great to deal with.

Back