• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

Ted should go with RED, what with his thing with hookers and all:agreed:
Be nice, they weren't hookers and everyone got along just fine. If he were to chose a color based on his issues, then it should be Cobalt Blue.
For all the attention he gets with his hauling stuff everywhere and the Polizei always pulling him over cause he looks like a south of the boarder scrap metal thief. Jeeze they should use more common sense but, we know what they say about common sense....

Seriously though, Paul, with all those gauges mounted just off your line of sight being on while driving at night, in white, there goes your night vision. Red might not be so bad an option to help maintain your night vision, unless your next "mod" is the heads up NOD display with integral helmet and goggles. Now THAT would be a cool write up with pictures!!

Seriously though, Paul, with all those gauges mounted just off your line of sight being on while driving at night, in white, there goes your night vision. Red might not be so bad an option to help maintain your night vision, unless your next "mod" is the heads up NOD display with integral helmet and goggles. Now THAT would be a cool write up with pictures!!

I have all the gauges and dash converted to red LED and love it.

I agree, the red looks great. The green that I have is easy on the eyes and I tend to have things turned down low as well.

A couple of little projects done while I chip away at the transmission. Return Fuel Lines redone and will redo again as they are neither 1/4" nor 3/8" inch from the back of the motor to the hard line. Rather, 5/16th and I don't have the fitting for the hard line junction at the LP site as I'm replacing all the hard line as I am able to do so.
U-Joints on both front and rear shafts are replaced with the help of a friend with a big vice.
Transmission, the lesson learned that keeps on giving...I certainly hope there will be enough room to work on the flex plate and gallery plugs with it just rolled back a couple of inches. No way it's dropping out of there with the transfer case attached as it sits suspended over the Torsion Bar Key cross member. That and three of the six electrical plugs on the shifting mechanism have solidified inside the connectors meaning I'm relying on there being sufficient slack in the lines to allow it to move back and out of the way some.
"Drop the tranny, its easier"...I wonder.:nonod:

Those plugs are glued from factory. Its best to remove the safety neutral switch from the trans. Heat works if you want to unplug it.

Those plugs are glued from factory. Its best to remove the safety neutral switch from the trans. Heat works if you want to unplug it.
Well that would explain things. Wonder why they only bothered with half of them and then added a plastic 'safety' pin through one? Removing the safety neutral switch looked like an option as well. I'll look into it as an option just in case.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on things as I move the tranny to ensure they aren't stressed. .

Thanks, Much appreciated.

Energy Suspension chassie bushings and transmission mount came in yesterday. Those will come in handy.
Finished buttoning up the grill after wiring in the new headlights. One little project at a time.
IMG_1590.jpg

Ted finished his bumper winch mount set up. Weighs as much as the motor I think.
Bumper Winch1.jpg
Bumper Winch2.jpg

Also a 1/2 ton crane added to the trailer and upgraded lighting.
Trailer Crane.jpg

Backed the tranny out of the way. At least 4" between bell housing top and flex plate. There's enough room to work on the flex plate/gallery plugs and I didn't need to disconnect linkage or wires (still some slack). I can raise it back up another 3 inches and will have another couple of inches between torque converter and flex plate. I may need to raise it up a bit anyway to get the cross over back on to run the motor and see where the leaks might be.

Or, could I just remove the Turbo and run it without? The backpressure was causing sort of a backfire sound when we first tried running it without the cross over on and turbo in place (it only did it twice and we shut it down quick). Oil feed line would be secured in the oil fill tube.

Paul it shouldn't matter, even with the back pressure on one manifold it still would back feed out the cross over inlet. Probably just didn't like the first initial fire. Even if it back fires ( unless it backfires like a 80mm cannon, that would be annoying ) you just need it to run long enough to see the culprit. Let it back fire until it shows it's ugly face. Don't pull the turbo there is no real need.

Where did you get the energy suspension bushings?
Energy Suspension Parts.com
Here's a link to the 1994 Chevy K3500 page.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Chevrolet+K3500+4WD+1994

Paul it shouldn't matter, even with the back pressure on one manifold it still would back feed out the cross over inlet. Probably just didn't like the first initial fire. Even if it back fires ( unless it backfires like a 80mm cannon, that would be annoying ) you just need it to run long enough to see the culprit. Let it back fire until it shows it's ugly face. Don't pull the turbo there is no real need.

Coward that I am with this thing.... I gotta tell you it didn't sound good to the point that I don't want to risk hearing it again. Not an 80mm mortar sound but definately a pop/snapping sound that I've never heard from a 6.5 before. Once it lit off and settled down it ran for about 15 minutes and we never had that sound or effect let alone a slight hickup. That was with the exhaust all buttoned up. It ran for maybe three minutes without the cross over and suddenly two pops from the passenger side in rapid succession. I was in the driver's seat and shut it down before Ted could get the throat slash signal up and he wasn't slow in doing it either.

Probably just air in the system. It won't hurt anything. But when your not expecting it, and your firing a new engine it's one less thing you need for the event. LoL

Probably just air in the system. It won't hurt anything. But when your not expecting it, and your firing a new engine it's one less thing you need for the event. LoL

Exactly!

"FAP, PSSST clatter clatter clatter clatter FAP PSST" :eek:

Almost as scary as dropping the tranny. Couldn't get the cross member support out because the wood block under the pan was in the way. Let the jack down a bit and moved the 4" thick block out and the sucker dropped off the dowls! I need clean shorts!:rolleyes5:

Nope, never a dull moment. Someone said earlier I was wreck in motion, or words to that effect. I need a new hobby but I'd poke my eye out knitting.

Energy Suspension chassie bushings and transmission mount came in yesterday. Those will come in handy.
Finished buttoning up the grill after wiring in the new headlights. One little project at a time.
View attachment 37401

Ted finished his bumper winch mount set up. Weighs as much as the motor I think.
View attachment 37402
View attachment 37403

Also a 1/2 ton crane added to the trailer and upgraded lighting.
View attachment 37404

Love the Headlights. Where have I seen those before :confused5: :hihi:

Back