• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6 wire & 4 wire PMD??

stricker76

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a pmd with only 4 wires coming out of it? I can find anything, but my buddy is telling me his is different.

Standyne's brilliant counter attack against companies like DTECH who make a PMD that is far supperior to the Standyne original was to develop a "brand new PMD". after all, people where actually catching on to Standyne and spending there money on a PMD that ACTUALLY WORKS(ie-Dtech, Dipaco).

This new PMd features a new "harness" that makes it completly incompatible with any other of the "aftermarket" PMD's Essentially, you buy this "new and improved" Standyne unit and are now forced to use there new style PMd since there is nothing else compatible with it.

I personally have not actually seen(internet pictures and general BS'ing about it on the "other site") one of these "new" standyne PMd and harnesses, but I can only imagine that this "4 wire" unit he is talking about is the new one. Is the PMD a grey color now instead of black(his)?

Or somebody could have cut off 2 wires :D

This past Friday BECS in Whittier, CA showed me the updated grey Stanadyne PMD with plug. I really did not take notice of the number of pins other than noting it was different from the black PMD. Also, the pins on the PMD itself are gold plated. It comes with a 2-year warranty. Let's see, it's at least 15 years since Stanadyne came out with the original version. The engine's reputation was ruined by this very part, leading aftermarket manufacturers to design and market all sorts of solution and even a replacement PMD approved by GM. After all that, they finally come out with a redesign, supposedly improved, and it's still designed to be mounted on the IP? Stanadyne has a long way to go win my allegiance.:ANGRY_~317::rant:

This past Friday BECS in Whittier, CA showed me the updated grey Stanadyne PMD with plug. I really did not take notice of the number of pins other than noting it was different from the black PMD. Also, the pins on the PMD itself are gold plated. It comes with a 2-year warranty. Let's see, it's at least 15 years since Stanadyne came out with the original version. The engine's reputation was ruined by this very part, leading aftermarket manufacturers to design and market all sorts of solution and even a replacement PMD approved by GM. After all that, they finally come out with a redesign, supposedly improved, and it's still designed to be mounted on the IP? Stanadyne has a long way to go win my allegiance.:ANGRY_~317::rant:

Absolutly. Oh and lets not forget that over the course of those 15 years they denied that heat was what was causing there PMD's to fail, and now that there "new" PMD is out they state that this new PMD "solves the heat issues related to the original model."

Frankly I think the "gold plated terminals thing" is just there way of making it seem like there tackling the issues with the PMd. All the other connectors in the engine bay aren't gold plated. Pretty sure they are all of the same alloy, so why do they need to be gold plated on this PMD? Obviously gold doesn't corrode and offers minimal resistance compared to copper and alluminium but really? Standnye never ceases to make me laugh:rolleyes5:

I just did get a stanadine warranty replacement PMD after 1/2 waiting .

Happens to be a grey one,came without harness ,got 6 pins like the old ones, should plug right in (i hope)

I just did get a stanadine warranty replacement PMD after 1/2 waiting .

Happens to be a grey one,came without harness ,got 6 pins like the old ones, should plug right in (i hope)

Let us know how it works out please? I'm really not a fan of Standyne and there "coverup attempt", so to speak, with there style PMD being faulty, but if they really did actually solve the problems then I'd like the know. Its alot easier to have solid proof to back things up than rumors or what I remember.

Is there such a thing as a pmd with only 4 wires coming out of it? I can find anything, but my buddy is telling me his is different.

So essentially, in response to the original posters question, theres no such thing as a 4 wire PMD, even the "new" one. Only things I could think of is your friend is describing the wrong item, or hes missing a few wires. PMD is located on the drivers side of the injection pump if still in stock location.

Yup, no 4 wires PMD AFAIK.

IIRC, a guy succeed in plugging a new Stanadyne with Stock harness.
To do so, he had to grind the old stock connector and the resistor too, to make them matching.

To make it short:
- Buy a D-Tech (improved Stanadyne clone) or an "old" pattern Stanadyne (poorely designed) and you can use your stock harness or 1st design extension;
- buy a new Stanadyne (D-Tech clone, just grey instead of black and labeled Stanadyne), and you will have to buy a new harness or extension too...

Kind of stupid, and the new Stanadyne is more expensive than a D-Tech

Guess wich ones I buy ?

yea,Matuva is dead on.:thumbsup:

I had a look at my new gray stanadine PMD plugin,ALAS it aint the same as the old black ones.6 pins but diff connection.:rolleyes5:
What a freaking pity, They send me a brandnew replacement(actually it was KENNEDY who send me the replacement,he was the one that sold me the first (still black)dud to start with) knowing i could not use it without the redesigned harness that was conveniently not included in the shipment.:nonod:
I got D-techs on both my 6.5's now and i'm not about to change back to stanadine.
So much for a brandnew but useless spare.:mad2:

Anyone interested in a gold plated PMD?

Gray stanadine PMD

I got an email from Kennedy,saying that filing the side key's from the resistor and male plug one can use the New gray PMD with the stock harnass no problem.

man it never seases to amaze me. why didn't kenedy send him a note or tell him before shipping it that there would be an issue with the plug .grinding cutting wathever, you just bought it and you can't just plug it in.If this was youre spare one and you were on the side of the road, are you supose to flag someone down to borought a file,a knife and a hammer thank god we have a site like this one but its the others that do not know about these sites that are in trouble,you will never be able to water proof this thanks for the heads up as i was thinking of ordering one as a spare

man it never seases to amaze me. why didn't kenedy send him a note or tell him before shipping it that there would be an issue with the plug .grinding cutting wathever, you just bought it and you can't just plug it in.If this was youre spare one and you were on the side of the road, are you supose to flag someone down to borought a file,a knife and a hammer thank god we have a site like this one but its the others that do not know about these sites that are in trouble,you will never be able to water proof this thanks for the heads up as i was thinking of ordering one as a spare
It sounds to me Kennedy is getting a little greedy by keeping the harnass,He knows about the issue ,he can make more money by selling it seperate

Back