• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5s getting ragged on...

Damn I'd love an ATT. But what little coin I had is about to get smaller, since I'm prolly about to start paying alimony and child support. :(

since I'm prolly about to start paying alimony and child support. :(

been there, done that. It sux. well the child support stuff anyway. don't get me wrong, I had them and I supported them to the letter and then some and still to this day when they need help as I can. My youngest graduated last may and the payment to their mother stopped. I just wish that there were regulations that said how the other half had to and/or could spend the money she got from me. instead of just how ever she saw fit or wanted to spend it.

instead of just how ever she saw fit or wanted to spend it.

Sorry about this being :eek:fftopic: BUT:
Each parent is supposed to provide 1/2 the child's support. So if your kid was being supported it's pretty hard to figure out how the X actually spent the money you sent.
A buddy's wife took him back to court for MORE CHILD SUPPORT.
He was paying about $400 a week and was sick about going back to the judge. The X comes up with absolute proof that she was spending $450 a week on the kid. Judge reduced Bob's part to $225 ):h

Well I opened the hood on the 94 and there was the PMD sitting on the intake(ss style). Oil soaked all around the turbo... I gotta make him a list of goodies he should be getting. .

I didn't realize what I had gotten into when I sold my cummins and got this 6.5. I was planning on just saving up and getting a 12 vlv to swap in but seriously considering against that now! Problem is, is because I'm so new to this, I don't know where to start, what I can afford, and thinking I'd be up for a drive if someone was willing to take a look at what I do have to set me on the right path. I have some issues with oil around my turbo - but will try and replace the cdr vlv & get a bhaf w/ a heat shield and see if that fixes the problem. (I also had a bolt missing from the center of the intake manifold @ the top of the block and am wondering if oil was spraying out there as well :( )

But I'm sure glad that I was able to find this site so I can get some ideas going.

well, If the PMD is on teh IP...start saving money for that. Mine lasted 2 yrs on my Tahoe and was still working but I was travelling alot and didn't want to chance it. You can do cooling upgrade but if you don't tow with it don't waste the money. Stock "clean" system is more than adequete.

well, If the PMD is on teh IP...start saving money for that. Mine lasted 2 yrs on my Tahoe and was still working but I was travelling alot and didn't want to chance it. You can do cooling upgrade but if you don't tow with it don't waste the money. Stock "clean" system is more than adequete.

I don't tow alot, but when I tow - I typically don't tow light.

Wish I had known about this place back when I had a 6.5! If I had known that 6.5's were NOT a POS, I might not be driving a Duramax now..........:D

Oh well...

Kenny, you oopsed it! shoulda aggreed with him, "POS 6.5s". Help keep the prices down, we coulda bought them and done them right. Kinda like a great restaurant that's not overcrowded; don't let everybody else know or they'll raise the prices then shrink the portions...
More for us!
:devil: Dave

Kenny is the poster child for, "I wish I didn't sell my 6.5 and buy a Dodge"........Funny this was your thread from just about a year ago.

In all fairness, you were never out of the game (6.5), Thank goodness the dodge gave you all that trouble, we almost lost you to the "Dark" side.

Good job, makes me want to get the Heath GL-4 and go find that piped Cummins that barely beat me a couple years ago. Actually, I bet I could take him now even without the computer. The ATT is pulling so much harder where the GM turbo had fallen off before. I should get off my butt and run it down the quarter just to see where it is. Wish I'd done it stock for a baseline, always meant to but never got around to it. Actually I did go to race it once, but left after seeing a several hour wait behind 450 ricers, was right after one of the Fast & Furious movies had come out. I'm not saying I think my truck is fast now, but it feels 100 times better than stock, and I know it would surprise some people.

FWIW I had the Dodge and my Tahoe at the same time. They were about even. Tahoe got slightly better MPG and was a tad quicker out of the hole but the Dodge is heavier. Pulling/towing wise no comparison. The Dodge pulls much better. Inline 6s always did even in the big trucks. My 3208 is about even with my 8.3 cummins and the Cat will smoke the Cummins flat out but when I hit the hills the Cummins takes over. Both engines are dialed in about the same,,well the Cat had a few minor adjustments(Thanks Tony).The Dodges are nice trucks, I just got screw by Lee's Atuo Ranch a slime ball scumbag used car lowlife. I hope Lee and his service manager both die a horrible deaths. Something like in the movie Hannibal would be nice where Hannibal fed the guy his own brain or those pig lookin things. I'm going blind with paperwork getting the lawsuit ready. I don't have time for it.

I was talking to a buddy of mine that has a powerstroke with a instant chip that's adjustable from 0-140+ hp (and since installing he's on his 3rd clutch/tranny combo), but is a big fan of chevy - just doesn't have the money to buy a truck (he's looking for a crew cab long bed 4x4, MT, duramax) and I was telling him about beefing up the 6.5 but he was warning me against it. He used to own a 6.2 and hated it. His fear is the 6.5 just wouldn't hold up with all the modifications...but from what I'm reading, it will if built right, correct? W/o rebuilding the engine (literally pulling it, ripping it down, and rebuilding with performance parts) - you know - everything but pulling the engine, what can it be equivalent/compared to/with?

I put easily 40-50 hp worth of mods on my Tahoe at 144k miles. Sold it at 174k. No issues. Ford Tranny suck....ask me how I know. The 4l80e is probably second to only the allison. Blows away Dodge, and Ford from my experiences. Any tranny can be "built" but the 4l80e stock is pretty tough.

I was talking to a buddy of mine that has a powerstroke with a instant chip that's adjustable from 0-140+ hp (and since installing he's on his 3rd clutch/tranny combo), but is a big fan of chevy - just doesn't have the money to buy a truck (he's looking for a crew cab long bed 4x4, MT, duramax) and I was telling him about beefing up the 6.5 but he was warning me against it. He used to own a 6.2 and hated it. His fear is the 6.5 just wouldn't hold up with all the modifications...but from what I'm reading, it will if built right, correct? W/o rebuilding the engine (literally pulling it, ripping it down, and rebuilding with performance parts) - you know - everything but pulling the engine, what can it be equivalent/compared to/with?

Good and bad thing about the 6.5 is that you can easily mod it up, but not enough to self destruct other parts.

4l80 can take anything a modded 6.5 can dish out, in stock form. As can the 14 bolt rear end.

Some of the other diesels can be modded alot more to yield alot more power, but you can grenade tranny's and rear ends.

6.5 really shines because it really is a simple design, and once you know it its pretty basic. Parts are cheap, and startup costs are cheap as far as diesels are concerned.

It really is a great engine. Which is why they are powering our military CUCV's and HumVee's, without the electronic injection pumps of course.

BUT, if it wasn't for teh DS4 problems, these rigs wouldn't have a bad rep, and they would cost a whole lot more to purchase.

In another 10 years, they will probably be very hard to find. The consumer surplus wont last forever. Hopefully my truck will.

The main thing to watch on the 6.5 is the temps. GM gave it a red warning at 260. That red warning should be at 220, with yellow starting at 210.

I don't EVER like running mine over 210. Hell, I don't like 210.

Blocks aren't all that beefy, and running hot can isolate heat spots and crack the blocks mainly at the rear. As MGW would say, game over.

Good post Matt. Yes, the longer I own my truck, the better I luv it!:thumbsup: And I hope it lasts forever, too. No reason it couldn't as long as parts are available.

Art

good job Ace :thumbsup:

bad job ace !

you should have told me he is right and offered him $75 for EACH ):h

we need to start hoarding and buying up all those 6.5s.

everytime i see one i wanna just buy it.
especially duallys.

Back