• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L Turbo Troubleshooting Tales

aiden.b

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I recently had an adventure, with my 6.5L engine. Initially I thought it would be a task of changing filters. Boy was I wrong! It turned into quite the detective work when it came to the turbocharger. It seemed to be lacking its power and behaving like a sluggish old dog than the powerhouse its known for.

I went through all the checks everything appeared to be fine. That extra oomph was still missing. Then it dawned on me – maybe it's the wastegate causing this issue. So I decided to take a look and guess what? Jackpot! I found the culprit there. It may have been a problem. Boy did it make a significant difference. It was like awakening a giant!

This got me thinking... Have any of you experienced troubleshooting adventures, with these beasts? Ever had one of those forehead slapping moments where the solution was staring you in the face? Share your stories! I'd love to hear them!

Hey everyone,

So I recently had an adventure, with my 6.5L engine. Initially I thought it would be a task of changing filters. Boy was I wrong! It turned into quite the detective work when it came to the turbocharger. It seemed to be lacking its power and behaving like a sluggish old dog than the powerhouse its known for.

I went through all the checks everything appeared to be fine. That extra oomph was still missing. Then it dawned on me – maybe it's the wastegate causing this issue. So I decided to take a look and guess what? Jackpot! I found the culprit there. It may have been a problem. Boy did it make a significant difference. It was like awakening a giant!

This got me thinking... Have any of you experienced troubleshooting adventures, with these beasts? Ever had one of those forehead slapping moments where the solution was staring you in the face? Share your stories! I'd love to hear them!

I once read an interesting essay on this topic but I can't remember where, if I'm not mistaken the site was called assigncode but that's not accurate
Oh by the way I nearly forgot to tell you about when I replaced the fuel filter. I thought that would solve the problem. It turned out that the real culprit was a hose clamp. It's funny how sometimes it's the things that can really throw you off track. Have you ever experienced a moment, like that where something simple caused such a headache?

This place is full of troubleshooting tales. The 6,5 will do that to you. Just use the search function for specific issues. Here's one of mine:

I had a whole slough of troubleshooting the turbo system. Turns out after all the cleaning terminals, grounds, filter and even making my own boost control mechanism, it was the vacuum pump. 😹😹😹
Not had many problems with the truck since then, and, at least now I know there is no engine control terminals thats corroded. 😹😹😹

These rigs will nickle and dime you to death and make you pull your hair out, though we all are so addicted to them LOL.

than the powerhouse its known for.

Best laugh I've had all day. 🤪

Even with the wick turned up (spool valve, huge ATT turbo, insane EGT tune) at least mine didn't come in dead last on dyno days as because a stock 7.3 IDI was strapped to the rollers at some point...

Long ago on a forum far away, before The TruckStop changed names to, well, The TruckStop.... Chasing a stalling issue for over a month only to find it was the Air Cleaner's Center Cap had come off a 1st Gen. SS Diesel filter and formed a perfect seal over the turbo inlet.
Filter-top1.JPG

Unlike some unfortunates, it didn't hit the blades edge on and shred the Turbo. Just left pretty spirograph like etchings on the cap.
Filter-center1.JPG
At least I ended up with spare OPS, PMD, Fuel Filter....

Back