• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L fuel guage etc.

HighSierra86

Reaction score
Ok here is my last try. I have searched all over the internet and called countless gm parts sources and guage repair shops, still with nothing. I am searching for stepper motors for the older instrument guage clusters found in our 6.5 rigs. The one im working on now is from our 00 express van.

I cant seem to find a source anywhere for the stepper motors or other parts souch as the clear plastic covers. Everyone wants to sell me a refurbished unit, or fix the one I have. The parts are obviously available somewhere if people are fixing these things. And no, they are NOT on ebay. I attached some pictures so maybe someone can recognize what im trying to find.....Im starting to get discouraged that fixing these things myself is even possible. Thanks for any help!

Mods PLEASE leave this here so someone actually sees it. Thank you..

I will gladly do a write-up on replacing these things if I ever do find them...

-Nick

IMG_1346.jpg IMG_1345.jpg

Deff the stepper motor. The speedometer has been sticking/jumping for the last 3 years and now the fuel guage is all over the place. I tested the sending unit and verified that it is not the problem.

-Nick

My fuel gauge only goes to 3/8 of a tank when full. I have replaced the sending unit so I'm pretty sure it's my gauge too. Good luck. I just reset my trip at every fillup.

That looks like a force motor not a stepper. The ECU would PWM drive the current in a winding and create a magnetic field that was variable. This is opposed by another magnet either permanent or another coil. The opposing force positions the shaft.

Seems they would be rather robust. In what way to they fail? Maybe they can be rewound if they have shorted turns.

That looks like a force motor not a stepper. The ECU would PWM drive the current in a winding and create a magnetic field that was variable. This is opposed by another magnet either permanent or another coil. The opposing force positions the shaft.

Seems they would be rather robust. In what way to they fail? Maybe they can be rewound if they have shorted turns.

Ive been calling it a "stepper motor" for lack of a better term. It does the same job as the newer stepper motors on the 01'+ trucks although it looks nothing like them.

The speedometer unit...pictured above...would stick at various places on the guage or raise with short jumps to the traveled speed. This was the case for 3 years until it now no longer works at all. The cluster did the same thing a while back and gm replaced it under warranty. The fuel guage reads erratic readings. One day you are full, the next it is 1/4 tank, then a 1/2. Now i know this thing burns fuel quickly, but it dosent add fuel on its own :D

-Nick

Just an update for anyone interested. I gave up on trying to find new parts after searching everywhere I could think of. Brought the cluster to the dealer to be sent in for repair. List price for the repair was $350 but I paid $200 which I thought was somewhat reasonable. The cluster came back looking like brand new with new guage faces and a new clear plastic cover as well. Very happy with the results.

-Nick

Back