• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5'ers why?!

Wrecker

The Oil Geek
Reaction score
After riding in Turbine Doc's truck(badass), working on Deere's truck (easy and simple)and seeing how much these trucks don't cost, I'm starting to itch a little.

Thanks guys, that's just what I need, another project!:mad2::D

Well, we all knew you wanted another project...

You're welcome! (Good job, TD and Deere!)

-Rob :)

Okay, boys, don't panic. Just give the line a little tug, to set the hook. CAREFUL - don't tug too hard, it feels like a big one.

Now, reeeeel him in nice and easy, take line when he isn't paying attention and give him a little slack when he runs....

:D

Welcome to 6.5 country, Ashton!! Y'all just been bit by the IDI bug... :D:D

Okay, boys, don't panic. Just give the line a little tug, to set the hook. CAREFUL - don't tug too hard, it feels like a big one.

Now, reeeeel him in nice and easy, take line when he isn't paying attention and give him a little slack when he runs....

:D

Welcome to 6.5 country, Ashton!! Y'all just been bit by the IDI bug... :D:D

You kill me, LOL:thumbsup:

Once ironed out, they are great rigs. Just like any other diesel. Each have their quirks, ours are no different.

Nah...not true at all....wait is that another 6.5 for cheap over there....must buy must buy. Shoot I was asking for pics of a Yukon on the bay last night.. Sell you a nice 94 K1500 cheap....Better yet want a Dodge...?

Missy sits pouring Diesel over her hot cakes and giggling wildly. :D

Gawd I love the smell of Unburnt diesel smoke in the morning.:thumbsup:

Heads off to get another plate of cakes and diesel.

Yummmmmmy

MISSY:thumbsup:

Back in 86 I had a local gal sell me an 82 Blazer diesel that she was told was no good.

What the heck,made a good deal.
I had never owned one but replaced the IP and injectors and drove it for 250K miles.

Rig had 400K on it when I sold it.

Bought my first 6.5TD in 93 then another in 94 and another in 95.

I have had some issues but overall they are a very cheap and reliable engine.

The truth is this, the only time we hear about things are when its bad.
Very few people go to an online forum to rave about how much they love their rig.

The only time we hear things are when it bad news.

The law of averages dictates that there will be a certain amount of problems with any design.

A great many 6.5 rigs will run a long long time with minimal problems.

The early electronic injected 6.5's had issues with the Pumps and the PMD
Later incarnations have been very good with the exception of the ongoing PMD failures.

With the advent of the DTECH PMD and remote mounts these issues have mostly disapeared.

Broken cranks, cracked blocks and other issues have been around.

A good many 6.2/6.5's will crack the center main webs.
This said, a good many of these engines will run a lot of miles and never have any issues but when overhaul time comes will show the cracked main webs.

The early 97 6.5 blocks with the then newly introduced piston cooler squirters saw many mainline failures.

The current production of 6.5 blocks from AMG/GEP are showing a very good service life and the previous issues seem to have been solved.

A good used GM block from the 92-95 vintage even with small main web cracks can be repaired easily with a special threaded insert from Lock and Stitch.

Heads have seen some cracks and this issue can be aggravated by overheating.

Late 96 on GM blocks did see some issues of #8 cylinders cracking radially about an inch down from the deck.

High mile engines in the 200K area likely will see a head gasket failure.

There were upgrades made to the head gaskets as time went by and the issues are far less now.

Now with all this stuff mentioned, mnay buyers are scared to death of a 6.5

This issue makes a lot more stuff available for those of us who understand these beasts and have learned how to deal with the problems.

Currently there are aftermarket heads, blocks, and steel cranks available.

A new redesigned engine, the P400 from AMG/GEP is now being marketed.
This engine has a bunch of updates in machining, metalurgy and such.

These are sold as a long block. All Original accessories and such will bolt right on.

The Pan on the P400 is a cast aluminum unit and as such will not fit a pickup.
These have been refitted with a custom steel pan and work well.

There is also the Optimiser 6500 which is a direct bolt in for the original GM engines.

There are truely loads of options to make a very inexpensive diesel powered pickup or SUV that gets great mileage with good reliability.

Best

MGW

Missy tries to help.

Many years of hard knocks banging around these diesels have given me some very intimate knowledge of these engines.

Sharing this material is just a great thing that I like to do.
There is also so much misinformation floating around that gets many folks into more trouble than they need.

Thanks troops

Missy

I think we should keep it a secret.

Here's a little story, no offense meant to any DMAX owner. I went to a New Years parade this past winter. Great fun, took the little ones etc.

Entered in the parade is a US Navy recruiting rig. New DMAX, roughly 2005 ish. Blue Smoke at idle, unburnt diesel etc. Just smoking up the parade. Like a mobile blue fog machine. It was then that I realized, I could install a new motor, top to bottom for the cost of the injectors which had gone bad in that thing.

While I'd love to have the giant money pile needed to have one, I'll just keep throwing little bits of money here and there at my old girl.

Back