• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

huckleberry

Reaction score
Anyone ever had a 6.5? I did and really enjoyed toying with it. I know it doesn't compete with the D-Max with power, but for the money and the cost to keep them running, I think they are great. It kind of turns into a project to see if you can get up to 200hp.:D I never did though. Just curious of others thoughts on this Dino Diesel.

Yep.

In the process of yanking it cause the motor outlasted the rest of the truck.

Found a used turbo off another 6.5. Looking to do true twins if I get bored. Then use my neighbors CNC mill to take 1mm off the pistons and plane the heads. A little hand porting for some better flow. Homemade headers and intake with home fabbed intercooler or maybe a cummins intercooler. Marine injectors and an opened up pump. Gauges of course too. All this through a SBC clutch and 5spd all mounted in a 1/2 ton.

SOunds like a waste of time and money but this project will cost no more than 2,000 after buying the truck and everything. As for the time, I got some and I get paid to do it so why not.

As for the motor.

Gutless, hard starting plagued with problems.

The 93 were the only good 6.5s.

94-95 had the FMD overheat and the DB4 pump failing.

96-00 had the same FMD problems and blocks failing cause they tried machining bigger holes for bigger bolts.

01-present. The 6.5 is now a strong 250hp motor.

Yep.

In the process of yanking it cause the motor outlasted the rest of the truck.

Found a used turbo off another 6.5. Looking to do true twins if I get bored. Then use my neighbors CNC mill to take 1mm off the pistons and plane the heads. A little hand porting for some better flow. Homemade headers and intake with home fabbed intercooler or maybe a cummins intercooler. Marine injectors and an opened up pump. Gauges of course too. All this through a SBC clutch and 5spd all mounted in a 1/2 ton.

SOunds like a waste of time and money but this project will cost no more than 2,000 after buying the truck and everything. As for the time, I got some and I get paid to do it so why not.

Do you think that twins would make any improvements on that engine? It seems to me that it would not really gain anything.

Nope. But why not. Basically bragging rights and just because.

Seen it done on a 6.2 and it actually did help performance.

I think another stock turbo would actually hurt you. You will need two smaller ones. You will not get enough boost to spool two big ones.

I did some sizing calculations and while theyre a tad on the laggy side they should get the job done. And when you look at cost, its a no brainer.

I sarted out with a '98 with 180,000 miles on it. i traded it in bout 5 months after i put stacks on it, for my duramax. it had about 240,000 on it then, then my dad bought it back and is still driving it.

I wouldn't mind having one for a company work truck.

still got mine. owned it for 6 months now and i absolutely love it. it was my first diesel and i'm never going back to gas. :D:rolleyes:

Here's a little 6.5 history lesson.

'92-'95 Are OBD (on board diagnostics) I.

'96+ are OBD-II.

'92-'93 Have the DB-2 mechanical injection pump, but are otherwise similar to the '94-'95.

'94-'96 Have an in-adaquate cooling system that often resulted in overheating if one doesn't keep an eye on their temp guage.

'97+ Have an upgraded cooling system that rids most cooling problems and also have oil spray holes that do weaken the block, but do not really result in many more bad blocks than the previous.

'94-'00 Have a thing called a Fuel Solenoid Driver, or FSD for short. It is an electronic device found on the side of the Stanadyne DS-4 injection pump that often gets cooked, resulting in an often mis-diagnosed bad IP.

'00+ General Engine Products (GEP) (A division of AM General) now makes the 6.5TD for the military, and some civilian dealers. These newest ones are pushing 240+HP and almost 500 ft-lbs of torque, and they're still in-direct injection.

There's a short (in comparison to the history of GM Diesels) history of the 6.5, and some of its issues, most all of which are (very) easily fixed. Will it compete with the more modern Duramax, Power Stroke, or Cummins? No. But, it will put down a very respectable 200 HP with only bolt-on mods. They normally last 200-400K, and are a very reliable engine, if you do your homework.

only thing i have to say RC is that 98 was the year they started doing the oil sprayers. 96 doesn't have them. my truck doesn't have them i was told and i'm not going out ot my truck to find out as that would involve taking things apart. :rolleyes::D i want one of those new GEP engines. too bad i dont have that kind of money.

Another 6.5 Owner Logging In :eyebrows:

Just FYI RC, it was in '97 when most of the cooling mods became stanard. i.e. Oil piston spray, 130 gpm Waterpump and dual t-stats

only thing i have to say RC is that 98 was the year they started doing the oil sprayers. 96 doesn't have them. my truck doesn't have them i was told and i'm not going out ot my truck to find out as that would involve taking things apart. :rolleyes::D i want one of those new GEP engines. too bad i dont have that kind of money.

Thanks for the correction, Dave. I have edited my previous post to reflect that. :nerd::)

hey AR. nice to see you here. i think we should get as many DP 6.5ers here as we can. i'll still be posting on DP but its just not going to be the same anymore. i feel like i'm being watched over there now. it sucks.

anyways i'm guessing my 96 doesn't have the oil sprayers? its got the upgraded cooling system and the HO pump on it.

Another 6.5 Owner Logging In :eyebrows:

Just FYI RC, it was in '97 when most of the cooling mods became stanard. i.e. Oil piston spray, 130 gpm Waterpump and dual t-stats

Thanks for that correction, Alberta. Also thanks for clearing up the piston oil spray deal. See what happens when you don't consult your sources first? Geeze, when will I learn? lol

Thanks for that correction, Alberta. Also thanks for clearing up the piston oil spray deal. See what happens when you don't consult your sources first? Geeze, when will I learn? lol

*slap* when will you learn RC? probably about the same time i learn how to spell/type. :rolleyes: :doh::D

Back