• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 TD NV4500 owners chime in..Starter question.

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Is the starter for an NV4500 6.5TD different from a 6.5TD auto ? I get conflicting reports. I am having an issue over this. NAPA shows yes, Advance shows no. I would be referring to a 93 K3500.

Only difference I am aware of is direct drive and gear reduction having nothing to do with the transmission. Case in point the 'Powermaster' brand only offers one part number for 6.2 and 6.5 engines.

Wish I could be more help.

I have not had to jack around with my starter as of yet.

I went out and compared the GR starters off of manual trans and auto trucks. No difference. The flywheels off of manual trans 6.5-1 pc rear main and 6.2-2 piece rear main appear the same. I'm thinking the DD 24 volt military starter is T400 specific and the nose won't fit the flywheel behind the ring gear because the flexplate has no lip back there. Maybe compare DD starter listings for 80's 6.2 trucks ???

I went out and compared the GR starters off of manual trans and auto trucks. No difference. The flywheels off of manual trans 6.5-1 pc rear main and 6.2-2 piece rear main appear the same. I'm thinking the DD 24 volt military starter is T400 specific and the nose won't fit the flywheel behind the ring gear because the flexplate has no lip back there. Maybe compare DD starter listings for 80's 6.2 trucks ???
The difference in offset"if there is one" will only be about 1/16th of an inch. Do you have them off Barry and can lay them flat and measure the offset ? Nothing is ever easy for me, always gotta be something that just can't be or no one has ever seen...:suicide:

#1 GM flywheel #14050525N .333 offset [twards engine] of engine face of ring gear from mounting face of crankshaft
#2 GM flywheel #14050525N .344
#3 Luk flywheel #05c3a 05c3b .245
#4 GM T400 flexplate .240
I still don't get it if that flywheel worked in another 6.5 truck why not now???????

#1 GM flywheel #14050525N .333 offset [twards engine] of engine face of ring gear from mounting face of crankshaft
#2 GM flywheel #14050525N .344
#3 Luk flywheel #05c3a 05c3b .245
#4 GM T400 flexplate .240
I still don't get it if that flywheel worked in another 6.5 truck why not now???????
It's currently on a 6.2. Can you clarify which flywheel was which ? If I understand it right the top two are the manual Tranny ones and the bottom two(LUK and T400) are auto ? If that is the case then we are talking about .011 difference and I am hitting by atleast .0625(1/16 inch) if not more. Thing is I have a GR starter with the large opening and it hit as well. I hogged a good 1/8 inch off the DD one. It actually works fine so far.

The GM flywheels ,one was a 93 6.5 truck with a 89 "660" 6.2 nv4500, The other GM was in a 91 6.2-sm465 truck that had a 99 "506" replacement engine. The Luk was in a 93 6.5 nv4500. The flexplate came off a military 6.2.
All 3 trucks had GR starters that worked and look identical to auto starters at a glance .
You couldn't possibly have the wrong front starter brace???? That could throw the alignment off some anyhow:???:

I had an issue with the one I had. The starter out of the auto had a larger alum. nose piece on mine. It covered lot more of the the gear. But a little trimming with a cut off wheel and it dropped right in. The nose was hitting the flywheel. The fly wheel was from a 97 6.5 and the starter was a 94.

Back