• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 TD HELP

rtdhsp

Reaction score
- Year: __95____
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) __c2500_______
- Automatic or Standard __auto________
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) __350000 km_______
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) _pmd relocate,newer rings and bearings__________
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? __'F' TURBO____________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) __20 C________
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) _unknown.______
- What fuel additives are you using? ___________
- Where are you located? _CRANBROOK B.C CANADA____________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter __NEW______
- Fuel filter __NEW_______
- CDR Valve? ____?_____
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at ______?_______
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at __SYNTHETIC ___(royal purple)______
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at FULL CHARGE,NEW___________
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): ______YES________
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? _60,000KM________ What type? __BOCH___________
- Injectors - last changed at _60,0000______________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? __FULL THROTTLE__(from 20km to 50km)_________
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? __PERFECT___________
- Has this problem ever happened before? ___NO____________________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. ______________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) _Y___ And? _13,22,25 AND 63_______

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? ___NO______
1b] Does the engine crank over? ___YES_____
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? _YES________
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? __YES_____
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? _N/A________
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? ___Y______ For how long? __6 SEC______
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? _NO_______

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? _YES__________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? __YES_______
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ______?_____
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? ____NO_____
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? ____no_______

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) _on intake__________
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? __vendor_______
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. _good________
3d] PMD Make: __STANADYNE_________
3e] PMD Age: __?___________

4] Stalling Issues
4a] Do you experience stalling only when hot? ___NO_________
4b] Does it stall under particular circumstances? (ie hit bump, or on accel) _NO_____
4c] Does pouring cool water over the IP seem to help with restarting? _____?____
4d] Is stalling momentary (engine recovers)? __NO_______
4e] Does SES light come on when engine hiccups? ___NO______
4f] Does cruise control quit working when engine hiccups? ___NO ?________
4g] Does re-starting seem to reset engine, restoring cruise and power? ______n/a___
4h] Changes to dash lights or instruments during stalling events? ____no_______

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? _______
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? _______
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? __________
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? _________
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? __________

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges? _NO________
6b] Maximum boost under load? ____________
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? __NO____________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? _STRAIT PIPE 3''_______________
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum? ____VACUUM__________

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? __SINGLE__________
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? _____NO____
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? _1 YR___________
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? __REPLACEMENT______
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? ___NO_______
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? _I WILL__________

List and describe any other factors which are not addressed in this checklist. We can’t see, hear, smell, or touch your truck, so the more descriptive information you can give, the more likely it is that somebody can assist you.

when it died the fuel sol fuse was blown,the pmd smelled burnt.with the new pmd the fuse is fine.I removed the fuel solenoid,tested fine.cracked the injector with no fuel. COULD AN ANGRY PMD TAKE OUT THE OPTICAL EYE OR SOMETHING ELSE ON THE IP ? :mad2:_________________________________

2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ______?_____

You need to determine if fuel is getting to the injection pump.

Need to put it on a heatsink first even when you just try it. The PMD generate heats when running like CPU. It has to have the capability to dissipate it. It is electronics like your CPU with an even higher heat generation.

Just my suggestion, it is up to you to follow it or not.

Did you leave the ground wire connected to the truck when you tested the new PMD?

I believe you have no fuel at the injectors. Otherwise youd get some smoke on crank.

Did you get the DTC13 from unplugging the shutoff solenoid yourself? Have you tested the solenoid? You can just remove it and put 12V across it and see if the plunger moves. Or you can get a snap ring pliers and remove the plunger and reinstall the unit.

Did you unplug the APP fuel pedal? If not yours is screwed or something. clear the codes and crank a few times to see what comes back.

Check for a FSO or fuel solenoid fuse that would provide power to the shutoff solenoid and the PMD.

I have done everything youve asked.BOIling down to a IP that doesn't work.
just figured to be done with all the electra crap would save the same headace down the road.

P.S new IP 2,600
new mech IP 750.

Have you attempted to unplugging the Optical Sensor harness from top of IP and try starting? Load test the batteries, with one low battery could prevent reaching 150rpm crank to start.

And you can check to make sure you are getting 12V to the shutoff solenoid and the PMD when the ignition is on. For the PMD unplug it, turn on IGN and check from pin C to pin D and you should have 12V. Pin F (the black wire with ring terminal) has to be grounded for it to run as well.

If you can have someone crank for you while you check. With PMD plugged in, the wire to Pin B has to have at least 1VAC during crank to start it up. So youd have to poke through the insulation to see that voltage and needs to be set up for AC.

Check the main PCM harness where it crosses the ac line at the bottom of the firewall - look for frayed chafed bare wiring which could blow the fuse - look for similar in the other wiring in the engine bay

I have tried everything,except unplugging the optic eye.batteries are new, the starter is 1 day old(bosh lifetime warranty) .Buddy which plug are you talking about with "pin B needing 1VAC".I used a testlight on the PMD conector and got power,I have checked all wires for continuity from the PMD to the plug on the firewall . Will a obd1 code reader tell me more than a paperclip method?even if it hasnt run for weeks and I cleared the codes already?IN my heart I think its electrical BUT Im going to get my IP tested .

code reader wouldnt tell you anymore. But as long as the PCM is working it will rack up DTCs while cranking. So if you clear codes then crank it, you would only see what is currently reporting. Is the 13 persistent? Or did you cause it by unplugging it? Same with APP codes.

The PMD harness, pin B goes from PMD to the IP to make it deliver the fuel. It powers the fuel solenoid within the IP. So while cranking if you dont see any power going into the IP, then it might not be the IP that is bad.

Back