• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5-T RPM's

This is the oddest train wreck of a thread I've read so far. I don't get the idea of getting help and advise by fighting with them. :eek:ut:

On axle ratios fwiw,according to the manual, a 97 6.5 3500 with 410,s has about the same towing capacity as a 3500HD with a 4.63, rear end ---8000 lbs to 8500lbs in either case (same trucks good for 12500 lbs equipped with 7.4 engines} .
I kind of rationalized it as being due the sharp fall off in the 6.5 torque curve after 1800 rpms or so iirc the numbers.
Enter the reflash as pointed out by Jiff .

thats headed toward my thought---have you looked at torque curve? I am sure you know that gassers and diesels curve differently. Higher rpm may not achieve what your looking for, though I don't know what your looking for, except for comment about "stump puller". good luck.:smile5:

Dude (M123KT-450). You would be wise to remove that chip from your shoulder and be nice. Jifaire is one of the most reasonable and helpful folks here, as evidenced by him not absolutely going postal at your insolence.

If you don't want advice, don't ask for it. Gawd! Some people!

It's very obvious from your questions that you are not well-educated on this particular engine, and perhaps not on diesels in general. Go ahead and throw your money away. It's your money. ...but don't come around here with a chip on your shoulder thinking you're some know-it-all. If you know it all, there's no need for you here.

I suspect you are a very young person, brought up as most young people are lately, with a sense of entitlement and a false sense of self-worth. It's not your fault, but it's not acceptable public behavior in better circles. If you're not young, then you're just plain juvenile.

To answer your original question, these engines can tolerate upwards of 3500 rpm without blowing up immediately. The torque peak is right around 2000 rpm, and drops off extremely sharply after that. If you change your gears to run a higher RPM, you will be way off the torque peak, and will make less power. Since horsepower is a function of torque and RPM, you cannot make more power in a peaky diesel by running in a higher rpm range like you can a gasser with a flat torque curve. If you want to run a higher rpm range, you would need to change the camshaft (AND the ECM programming) to shift the torque curve to the RPM range you are interested in. All else is futility. Jifaire was just trying to figure out what you're trying to accomplish, since what you are asking to do is so dumb he thought maybe you just weren't expressing yourself accurately. Why in the world would anyone want to raise their operating RPM, which shortens the life of the engine when it would make less power than at lower RPM? It's your money and your truck. Run it how you like, but don't be rude to those from whom you would ask advice.

Last edited:
I tended to ignore the the obvious rudeness as I felt Jif could /would handily take care of that aspect.but am happy that mitchedo addressed it to show support for Jiff .
I,m afraid I,ve grown too old to become involved in those kinds of discussions , but am still interested in the technical aspects & would hope there would be further discussion on torque ,rpm ,& horse power etc on the thread . I have little to add myself other than expressing frustation at the lack of oomph at rpms in the 2k,s .
On the other hand ,Ive done no real amount of mods to effect much change or improvement.

I tended to ignore the the obvious rudeness as I felt Jif could /would handily take care of that aspect.but am happy that mitchedo addressed it to show support for Jiff .
I,m afraid I,ve grown too old to become involved in those kinds of discussions , but am still interested in the technical aspects & would hope there would be further discussion on torque ,rpm ,& horse power etc on the thread . I have little to add myself other than expressing frustation at the lack of oomph at rpms in the 2k,s .
On the other hand ,Ive done no real amount of mods to effect much change or improvement.

Diesel-T ,a 4' exh. and a chip will give you a whole new truck. Even just the exh. made my truck wake up.
Leo​

Diesel-T ,a 4' exh. and a chip will give you a whole new truck. Even just the exh. made my truck wake up.
Leo​

x2, 4" exhaust was the best investment I did in terms of performance. It woke up my suburban. The stock exhaust was amazingly restricted, it seems that GM bang it anywhere it is needed to clear something instead of bending it properly. It is actually 3"DP to 4" exhaust with straight muffler without the cat.

I did not have the chip yet, either.

Why do I get the feeling that I've seen this mike guy on the old site? Starting a thread almost exactly like this one and refusing to unviel his "hidden project".

I coulda swore I've seen it already. Maybe deza-vu. OH well.

Honestly, if you hate the truck. Sell it. To build the truck you really want to love and be the "X Factor" as your calling it, you are going to need to be doing alot of changing, modding, reworking, cussing, screaming, kicking, throwing and even listening to other people telling you that something isn't going to work. Its for your own safety honestly. You can "wind up" this 6.5 as high as you want. But the higher you wind it, the more strain your putting on a sensetive crank and block.

If I understand this mess right. You want to know what happens when you raise the gearing ratio. You will get off the line faster, and spin tires faster. but you will also hit max speed, or "bottom out" faster. MY trucks got 4.10's and she shifts out of 1st gear at 10mph. Off the line, shes fast as hell. But once the lower gearing catches up, I fall behind.

Why do I get the feeling that I've seen this mike guy on the old site? Starting a thread almost exactly like this one and refusing to unviel his "hidden project".

I coulda swore I've seen it already. Maybe deza-vu. OH well.

Now that does ring a bell BBC
Leo​

Back