• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 replacement

Jtmauto1

Reaction score
I currently have a 96 k3500 it has the 6.5 turbo this rig has 508000 on the clock and nothing major has been done to it aside from ip and timing chain water pump. I pull hard I have a 38 foot travel trailier weighs in at 14000 pounds. The truck pulls it ok with mpg at 7 to 8 and pulling at 55 to 60 temps while pulling run around 205 to 210 and egt runs around 800 the engine is starting to show blow by and my little voice is saying time to replace. Forgot to mention injectors replaced every 110000. My question is would it be wise to get the optimizer or just get a used engine with decent warranty. I use this rig daily and pull other trailers so I need the same dependablty ive had to this point

I would get the optimizer, well infact I did get one.

but if you are only experiencing blow by at 508,000 (GUESSING KILOMETERS)
You might rip it apart first and see if it is worth rebuilding. Could be new rings and bearings with new head gaskets and bolts are all you need. I suggest new main bolts just like when the head bolts are replaced

Otherwise order an optimizer and consider if you want to start out with any upgrades from day1. Gapless rings, coated bearings, etc.
Condition of the truck obviously plays into that.

Last option that might be first option is - if the oil loss from blow by is the big thing hitting you- put a provent 200 in There to capture all the oil and keep running it. A little effort into adding the drain back system but not too bad. Many trucks do half their life with blowby.

Hate to say it but I replaced my cdr and it didn't make a difference..provent, or road draft pipe are easy option... But seriously she's got a half million on her..shes done her job..but if she's still running like a beast, I'm with @Will L. Check out and see if you can rebuild her .. be more careful with your temps though..

Hate to say it but I replaced my cdr and it didn't make a difference..provent, or road draft pipe are easy option... But seriously she's got a half million on her..shes done her job..but if she's still running like a beast, I'm with @Will L. Check out and see if you can rebuild her .. be more careful with your temps though..

It is not going to fix the blow by. If the piston is worn out, it will NOT fix it.
It is just a maintenance to see if it can prolong the engine life.
Nothing is going to be perfect with old engine.

By the way, is that Km or Miles?

Don't go looking for trouble until you need to do something. Sucking down 1 quart of oil every 500 miles working that hard is normal. A provent 200 may help... The 2500 Mile oil changes for heavy duty use was in my 1993 owner's manual and UOA confirmed it done. 500 additional miles to 3000 was ugly.

These engines will run with "on fire" blowby. You pull the engine out and odds are very good you find it's cracked to scrap metal. Heads, block main webs, precups... Used engines are in the same sad shape. These were and still are a disposable and expendable engine.

A better turbo would significantly increase your MPG towing. Different turbo's have come out since the A Team Turbo was proven on this engine.

Gapless rings will increase the oil life on these dirty IDI engines.

I would get the optimizer, well infact I did get one.

but if you are only experiencing blow by at 508,000 (GUESSING KILOMETERS)
You might rip it apart first and see if it is worth rebuilding. Could be new rings and bearings with new head gaskets and bolts are all you need. I suggest new main bolts just like when the head bolts are replaced

Otherwise order an optimizer and consider if you want to start out with any upgrades from day1. Gapless rings, coated bearings, etc.
Condition of the truck obviously plays into that.

Last option that might be first option is - if the oil loss from blow by is the big thing hitting you- put a provent 200 in There to capture all the oil and keep running it. A little effort into adding the drain back system but not too bad. Many trucks do half their life with blowby.
It's 508404 miles now not kilometers

It is not going to fix the blow by. If the piston is worn out, it will NOT fix it.
It is just a maintenance to see if it can prolong the engine life.
Nothing is going to be perfect with old engine.

By the way, is that Km or Miles?
Miles

It's 508404 miles now not kilometers

These engines run great till a crack or head bolt lets go. Generally wear isn't the #1 killer of these engines. Half of me wants to say "See how far it will go." The other "GM gives you a warning before things strand you." And my experience says get an industrial diesel as this Light Duty diesel engine and truck has gone 5x it's lifetime and will likely $50-$100 you to death. We spent over $1000 a month at the parts stores at one time.

Make sure your insurance will cover the new engine value. We had a declared value commercial policy and didn't update it for the engine we dropped in 3 weeks prior to hitting an elk.

You will be livid when you figure out how much fuel that GMx turbo the Mediocre GM beancounters slapped on there cost you. As noted we went from 7 MPG to 10.4 MPG with a bigger turbo. At your speed that may be even higher. The 2015 RAM Cummins that took over our route towing a trailer full of parts was getting 15 MPG.

I would do coatings @Twisted Steel Performance does to keep the fuel sucking cooling fan "off". (The turbo change reduces fan need from less heat trapped in the engine due to backpressure.)

Oil changes come off the bottom line as well. Curious as to how far you are running your changes and if doing UOA? The Gapless rings could also save money on longer oil change intervals. Going 2500 to 5000 miles for us.

Back