• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Radiator - Recore or New?

Big T

Reaction score
The radiator on my son's '94 is leaking. 255K miles. We have a serviceable back-up from the wreck of the '95 which continues to give up the love just prior to the final harvest date. Question is whether we should recore the leaking one from the '94, or just junk it?

Not a copper brass unit then it nearly costs more to fix than a new one. As you have a good spare and scrap metal prices are ok - sounds like it's scrap. The trans coolers have limited life and trade places with cracked tanks for failure. Repairs cost a lot when you do just a tank and trans oil cooler.

If your 94 has plastic end tanks, then don't waste your money recoring it. Plastic end tanks will split and crack eventually, and once they start to leak, it's only a matter of time before they crack or split. I know many shops will say they are good to recore, but they just want the money from a recore VS selling you a new one(more money in a recore than a new for them). If it's a copper brass one, then I would consider it.

Thanks everyone. We'll scrap the leaking one and install the old one from the '95 wreck. That should cover it for at least 50K miles and we can do our homework on new radiators. Mishimoto isn't first on that list.

My driver side plastic end tank blew while on a road trip from NC-CA attempting to go up to Yosemite during our PCS to Hawaii. Limped it with plastic weld until I got the truck in Hawaii and had a Griffin full aluminum drop in replacement ordered. Love it!

Back