• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 or 8.2

I've run acroos those 8v53 videos and thought, Hmmmm...

Then I shook my head and said to myself, 'I need another project like I need another hole in the head.'

You see all kinds of 4v53's but the 8's were some kind of marine engine right? The only other ones I've seen were in the American LaFrance firetrucks.

1000+ pounds on the GMT400 IFS? No thanks. Maybe an HD straight axle.

I think just about all detroits were used in marine applications as well as in trucks. Just about every road grader you see has one.

Kenny i love the look of the old Generals. Top it off that it has a screaming jimmy in it, and it's perfect. Only thing you need is a Smokey and the bandit 2 paint job, and the signature trailer. :rof:

Hey Ace u drive a fuel truck?

I did. I was forced out of business by the corrupt state of Connecticut.
It broke my heart to sell that truck but the tank was shot and the motor after 500k of faithful miles, needed Heads as well as every year I had to grease someone to pass it for emmisions. The racks were cranked up and she was running N45's. That truck ran like a bat out of hell. Had a 9spd Roadranger.
we started out with a 69 White cabover with a 6v53 and then we had a 76 Louisville with a 6v53. I did HG's and a cam on it when I was still riding a bicycle but I could not set the racks. That in itself is an art. Heck I was only 15...
The Jimmy wasn't actually that loud compared to the 6v53 NA's Those could be heard 3 blocks away. The turbo on the Jimmy quieted it down quite a bit but the jake was fun to scare old ladys with...:rof:
That General really was a unique truck, a head turner, and made a days work pleasurable.

The Jimmy wasn't actually that loud compared to the 6v53 NA's Those could be heard 3 blocks away. The turbo on the Jimmy quieted it down quite a bit but the jake was fun to scare old ladys with...:rof:

53 series are louder in general than the 71, 92, even 149 series are. A lot of the "extra" noise from a 53 comes from the blower.

Turbo's do quiet the engine down too of course, but a Turbo 53 series compared to a turbo 71 or 92 series....the 53 will be louder.

The reason is the shape of the rotors in the blower/supercharger. The 53 series all have straigt rotors while the rest of the 2 stroke's (71, 92, and 149 series) have sprial shaped rotors.

I actually considered a 4-53 for this build but someone would have to give it to me, along with all of the parts to place it under the hood. If I was 16 I would work day and night on it getting one of these in. I'm well past that age and if it don't bolt right in I don't want it. That goes for the 8.2L also. The engine will be going into a half ton and I'm not beefing anything but the engine, tranny and possibly a 14 bolt rear.

53 series are louder in general than the 71, 92, even 149 series are. A lot of the "extra" noise from a 53 comes from the blower.

Turbo's do quiet the engine down too of course, but a Turbo 53 series compared to a turbo 71 or 92 series....the 53 will be louder.

The reason is the shape of the rotors in the blower/supercharger. The 53 series all have straigt rotors while the rest of the 2 stroke's (71, 92, and 149 series) have sprial shaped rotors.

Them ol Big Hood Mack R700s we had with the 8-71s were pretty darn loud too...:D

I did. I was forced out of business by the corrupt state of Connecticut.
It broke my heart to sell that truck but the tank was shot and the motor after 500k of faithful miles, needed Heads as well as every year I had to grease someone to pass it for emmisions. The racks were cranked up and she was running N45's. That truck ran like a bat out of hell. Had a 9spd Roadranger.
we started out with a 69 White cabover with a 6v53 and then we had a 76 Louisville with a 6v53. I did HG's and a cam on it when I was still riding a bicycle but I could not set the racks. That in itself is an art. Heck I was only 15...
That General really was a unique truck, a head turner, and made a days work pleasurable.

not to tug at your heartstrings but i love the sound of the 8V92 in this vid. Always loved the 2-stroke jimmy sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5smgv2GyE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Them ol Big Hood Mack R700s we had with the 8-71s were pretty darn loud too...:D

Lol.... None of them could be described as "quiet"......

On another note, can anyone name the movie this came from........."Bulldog Mack with a can on back" or "That big black Mack stopped dead in her tracks"

not to tug at your heartstrings but i love the sound of the 8V92 in this vid. Always loved the 2-stroke jimmy sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5smgv2GyE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Cool looking truck, sounds good too from what you can hear.

Never really understood why people make a video of riding in a semi, or engine sounds, or whatever...... and then dub a song over it so you can barely hear the reason they made the video in the first F-ing place.

I drove a few KW's with 8v92t's You could easily crank them up to 475hp with the right injs plus Mario from the Bridgeport ferry knew how tune them just right.

Are you kidding me....Convoy is MANDATORY for anyone who either posseses or wishes to obtain a CDL. It should be part of the test...:rof:

Back