• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Na Max Potential?

Well the block had no cracks, but I am putting it aside for another engine. The NA plan hasn't changed; I just went back on craigslist. Here is a 1993 6.5, complete with turbo, 9411 injector pump, and 4l80e trans with computer. I bought everything for $380, about what people on ebay want for a 9411 core. The engine was in the truck and running 5 days ago. It was running rough and putting out blue smoke, so the owner pulled the heads. It had a severely sunken exhaust valve, but the bores were too worn out to bother with a valve job. So he is parting the whole truck cheap.

I spent some time weighing and measuring the stock parts from the first engine, and researching the idea of internally balancing. I think any operation over 4000 rpm is risking crank failure, so my machine shop is evaluating the stock parts for internal balancing. The stock pistons weigh a ridiculous 957 grams, the pins are 307, and the rods 1,058! There is a huge counterweight in the damper because the parts are so heavy, so it might not be possible to internally balance with stock pistons and pins. I talked to Ross and Wiseco about a lighter weight custom set. About $1600 - ouch, but maybe worth it if it works well enough to bring in race sponsors.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 7
That's good to know. Did you use a mechanical pump? Oh yeah I meant to say 4911 IP in my previous post. Lighter will be a lot better if it helps reach internal balance. I talked to ati about making a custom neutral balanced damper, and they said no problem, all I would have to do is adapt a different bottom pulley to it.

One reason for the piston alone being heavy is due to its steel compression ring land. I've noticed some aftermarket pistons lack this feature. Sealed Power IIRC.. They're also made in India.. Bought a single to patch together one a while back and noticed this. Sent it back and went a different route. It was also lighter in weight. I forget the actual numbers.

Small piece of the puzzle. :dunno:

Back