• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 GM to 6.0 International Power Stroke

MrMarty51

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has explored that idea.
I did a search and could not find a thread about this.
The trucks this weed service uses is all older Fords with the IH Power Stroke engines.
With a load of about 650 gallons of water on these one ton duallies, pulling a trailer with two Honda four wheelers loaded on these engines seems to pull very well, even on steep uphill runs they will gain speed.
Just curious is all. I see there is one up for bids on Ritchie Bros Gov Planet auction website.
Located at Lewistown Montana, not so very far from Me.

The PS 6.0 is definitely a lot less noisy than a 6.5. Comes with more gears in the tranny as well.

Given it has survived this long, either the owner got the gospel and bullet-proofed it, or it is one of the lucky ones that dodged the bullet. If there are no signs of bullet-proofing, I'd do it Just-Cuz.

Crankcase will need an additional bottle of additive with each oil change to avoid stiction in the injectors. Probably should run a thinner cold weight rated oil than OE as well. IIRC, Ford spec is 15W/40 dino, but the better path is to run 5W/40 synthetic to help with stiction. Although, if the engine lived a lot of miles on dino, switching to synthetic will probably clean all the plugs which held back leaks. Don't ask how I know ;)

Depending on age of the injectors, they might be due for replacement. A buzz test will offer a fair assessment of health.

6.0 parts get a whole lot more expensive though. But they are still somewhat commonly available as opposed to the 6.5 which is arguably well into the unobtanium territory for a bunch of new, or quality, parts.

The weed company has five of the older 6.0 diesel power stroke trucks.
The guy that started this company is ford, ford, ford and more ford. Nothing else will do, only truck, to him, ever built that was worth a crap is a ford.
I too was curious about the price of fuel system components for the Plow-er strokes. I know most engines with electronically fired injectors gets much more expensive.

I think cooler than cool would be to install one of the 8.2 Detroit diesels into my truck.
Double the engine weight though, but, the pulling power would be phenomenal.

I'd go for the Detroit ISL series. Agree that it might prove tough to stuff in the bay due to weight. And then there is size.

For 6.0's injectors, HEUIs can live a long life. But oil quality is critical as they use the engine's crankcase oil to inject fuel. This also explains why the 6.0's sump packs a lot more oil than a 6.5. There is still strong aftermarket support for injector replacement. From experience, I stick with new as reman / rebuilts are a pure gamble and the Internet has lots of stories of headaches with reman / rebuilt. Some of the rebuilders have better reputations than others, but even the best of them still get reports of bad-out-of-the-box reman / rebuilts.

Ford and Navistar got beat-up hard over the 6.0. Scuttlebutt has it that the poor reputation was earned from Ford's insistence on some of the engineering. But once the aftermarket community figured out how to overcome the design flaws, bulletproofing turned it into a good engine.

IIRC, the 6.0's slushbox tranny is rather stout as well, but earned a bad reputation from idiots throwing WAY more power at it than what it was designed to handle. Unfortunately Ford got a bad rap from this as well, except this one was NOT earned. Blame goes to the morons whom simply cranked-up the power and did nothing to make sure that the rest of the system was good with the increased power.

I'd go for the Detroit ISL series. Agree that it might prove tough to stuff in the bay due to weight. And then there is size.

For 6.0's injectors, HEUIs can live a long life. But oil quality is critical as they use the engine's crankcase oil to inject fuel. This also explains why the 6.0's sump packs a lot more oil than a 6.5. There is still strong aftermarket support for injector replacement. From experience, I stick with new as reman / rebuilts are a pure gamble and the Internet has lots of stories of headaches with reman / rebuilt. Some of the rebuilders have better reputations than others, but even the best of them still get reports of bad-out-of-the-box reman / rebuilts.

Ford and Navistar got beat-up hard over the 6.0. Scuttlebutt has it that the poor reputation was earned from Ford's insistence on some of the engineering. But once the aftermarket community figured out how to overcome the design flaws, bulletproofing turned it into a good engine.

IIRC, the 6.0's slushbox tranny is rather stout as well, but earned a bad reputation from idiots throwing WAY more power at it than what it was designed to handle. Unfortunately Ford got a bad rap from this as well, except this one was NOT earned. Blame goes to the morons whom simply cranked-up the power and did nothing to make sure that the rest of the system was good with the increased power.
What is the Detroit ISL series.
I did a search and it comes up for the 60 series Detroit or the Cummins ISL series.
I didnt search into either of those to find out. It did mention something about a Detroit engine with over head cam shaft. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

Oops, my bad on two fronts. Apologies.

IS series is Cummins, not Detroit.

Meant ISC. 8.3L Cummins. It's a beast in the motorcoach community.

ISL is current generation.

For the HEUI engine, just thought of another fun fact. It is impossible to destroy these engines from lack of oil. Once the oil level drops below where the low pressure pump can feed the high pressure pump, the engine shuts down. Some owners freak-out when they see the oil pressure gauge show low figures, or drop to zero. But if the engine is running, there is oil in the sump and it is flowing through the block.

Back