• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Camshaft end play

khills

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows what the camshaft end play spec. is on a 1998 6.5? I'm about to install the timing gear set and I checked the end play and hmmmmm looks a little excessive but not sure. Having a hard time finding it online. My engine has 300,000 kms on 'er.

there is a plate with two bolts under the cam sprocket, IIRC, the end play is set between the cam, the plate and the sprocket.
If the sprocket is removed, that allows the cam to push rearwards deeper into the block.
If You have that plate removed and there is no real visible wear, then install the new sprocket and components and run it.
If that cam plate has a lot of wear or bad looking grooves in it, then look at the face of the cam bearing, if it too is wore and grooved then it might be time for a new cam and cam plate.

Straight out of the 1998 GM GMT-400 Service Manual, Volume 2, Page 6-489.

Camshaft End Play 0.51-0.305mm OR
0.002-0.012in

And yes, measured with the front thrust bearing plate, IP drive gear and cam sprocket installed.

Ok. Thanks a lot for your help. I’ve been working on this thing for a while and can’t wait to get her going. Thanks again.
Straight out of the 1998 GM GMT-400 Service Manual, Volume 2, Page 6-489.

Camshaft End Play 0.51-0.305mm OR
0.002-0.012in

And yes, measured with the front thrust bearing plate, IP drive gear and cam sprocket installed.

That’s perfect. Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated!

An original GM workshop manual is a priceless item to have for these trucks/engines.
If You can not afford the original manuals, the closest thing that I have found it the Chiltons book. Not sure what years it covers but it is from 19?? To 1998 and it has the complete 6.5 engine specs and rebuild procedures in it.
I used to have a Haynes manual and it had not one spec of procedures for the 6.5.

An original GM workshop manual is a priceless item to have for these trucks/engines.
If You can not afford the original manuals, the closest thing that I have found it the Chiltons book. Not sure what years it covers but it is from 19?? To 1998 and it has the complete 6.5 engine specs and rebuild procedures in it.
I used to have a Haynes manual and it had not one spec of procedures for the 6.5.
I actually found one online for the entire truck but had a hard time finding this spec. for some reason. It’s a PDF file I found.

I bought a complete set of the shop manuals off eBay for $50 back in 2009 from a dealership going out of business during the Great Recession. I just looked at the metric spec that I posted, because it didn't look right on the minimum clearance. Yes, it's what's in the book, but I think it should be 0.051mm, not 0.51mm, as I just did the inch to mm conversion and 0.051mm IS correct.

You can also find the complete shop manual on a CD-ROM that then accesses GM's data base, but you must be on-line to use it. Another reason I prefer the old-school, four volume, two foot thick printed set. The only thing they don't cover is transmission rebuilds, those are covered in a separate GM manual.

Although the 6.2 and 6.5 measurements get mixed up here and there in general the Technical Reference Section on here is all you need:

Back