• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
I been trying to compile more accurate data on the various 6.5 diesels and was wondering how many of the newer 6.5 blocks have the LS 7 bolt pattern for the May 99 and newer 4L80e that has the LS 7 bolt pattern.

GM enhanced May 99 and newer 6.5 diesel pov, commercial & fleet vehicles seem to all have it, optimizer 6500 used in HMMWV T400 applications does not and I'm not sure when the 4L80e was installed in the HMMWV and don't know if they have the LS 7 bolt pattern or the older 6 bolt pattern or if the P400 has the LS 7 bolt pattern too.

Do not know, but what I do know is that my 4L80E bolted right up to the P-400.

Actually, sort-of. The converter plate needs notching to accommodate the girdle, but the tranny itself went right on.

Jay, when you say notching you removed material or re-formed the metal?

The transmission out of the wrecked 1999 has that bolt pattern. I sure wish I would have saw that before he sold everything but the frame, trans and transfer case. He wanted $800 for everything, IIRC

That would be a keeper, I'm not so sure these enhanced May 99 and newer GM 6.5's didn't have the extra nickle in the block even though they don't have the NAVISTAR logo and everything else inside the block are the same as the NAVISTAR. I have one w/close to 500k miles on it and still has lots of life left in it.

1995 the 4L80e was first installed in the HMMWV it's mounting bolt pattern was/remains 6 bolt pattern right through to the P400.

I'm still digging to see if and when the 4L80e for the HMMWV was updated w/the LS series or 4L85e guts.

I think it went to a 5 bolt pattern. Same pattern you just don't put a bolt in one of the holes.

Im not sure what trans, 4L85E?
The clearance modification needed is on the TC cover plate. On an auto 2wd it took me less than 5 minutes to do.
On a 4x4 cast piece it may take a little longer.

Im not sure what trans, 4L85E?
The clearance modification needed is on the TC cover plate. On an auto 2wd it took me less than 5 minutes to do.
On a 4x4 cast piece it may take a little longer.
Got ya, that's easy.

I just dug into AM General Transmission Product line while they don't identify the transmission I suspect you are right about their using the 4L85e.

Back