• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 BELCHES white smoke

crossy

Reaction score
It's a 94 6.5TD 'F' engine and I bought it knowing it was hurt. engine starts and runs OK, but belches pure white smoke at idle that does not smell like anti freeze, but does smell like exhaust. do the turbo seals go bad on these and let it suck in engine oil like some of the 80's mopar turbo cars used to?? thanx , crossy

Found out the seals go bad especially when they get hot and this one did get hot. Will install good used turbo i bought and go from there. crossy

Well could be turbo seals, but your CDR (PCV) will also suck oil out of the valve cover and put it in the intake. Its that hose going from valve cover to air intake, see if theres a lot of oil there.

Do you get a lot of blow-by? When its warm pop open the oil fill cap and see if vapor is flying out of there erratically. That would be fuel getting around piston rings during compression/combustion and getting into oil, evaporating and rising. That could create more pressue in the valve cover and end up sucking more oil.

Hi Crossy - welcome aboard !

Relative to buddy's comment, have a look here. Doing this test, as recommended by Bill Heath, should give you a pretty good idea of the health of your CDR.

I do think the new turbo and TM will make a big difference for you.

Oh yeah, get rid of that GM4 and put on a GM8 for sure, and TM can eliminate parts on the engine (vacuum pump and solenoid) so its good, however it works best with a Heath program, because will not follow stock PCM settings and might throw codes. Not that you cant get around that. The GM8 is a better turbo, if you can get one cheap, otherwise you can go with a site vendors A Team Turbo

I bought a GM-4 with TM off a member already. thats all i need for this putt around work truck. most time on this is spent idiling. I'll be baaaack if the smoking don't stop after the turbo swap. thanx for the help, crossy

If it is belching pure white smoke that smells like diesel, it is a fuel problem. Sounds like a stuck or bad injector. Bad turbos usually make blue/oily smoke, or black with no boost.

I'd try cracking injector lines, one at a time, and see if it goes away. If it goes away, you found the bad cylinder.

The turbo that I JUST installed did seem to cure it. it's not a 'road' truck at this point, I bought this bucket truck just to trim my own trees ,but all the idle smoke stopped and Docdray hooked me up with a fine turbo. This is now the quietest 6.5 I've ever heard. thanx for the help/input. crossy

Last edited:
slim hooked me up with a great new turbo-ATT- thought I would pass on my old one that worked fine. glad it did for you. got a load, 6k lbs going to mountain home, ar tomarrow- can't wait to test haul with new turbo.

Back