• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Bags

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
Talking to Tanned got me thinking. Along with exceeding the published towing capacity, the Bramco flatbed - scheduled for installation late next week - will add more burden to the already challenged driveline.

So today I ordered a set of Firestone Ride Rite air bags for the back. I'm having some fun finally putting some more money in the 21 year old gal.

Yup, those beds will test a new 2500HD let alone a 20yr old 1500. My cousins 2013 K2500HD's mud flaps drug the ground bad enough that he backed up and tore them off by driving on them, he had ride-rite bags but between towing, feeding off road, and general being young and dumb he bent the brackets and had to take them off for a time. 10-20psi makes just enough difference unloaded to make it stock ride height.

The best part is that it'll finally allows me to level the bed. It's always sagged a touch on the driver side. Inspected it closely with the bed off; no idea why.

Typical chevy lean, most lean to the drivers side over the years w/ gas tank and driver weight. The leveling is a side bonus, definitely cant hurt.

My 95 did it and still does even after new(er)/heavier leafs, seems to get worse as time passes. I tend to haul heavier items on the pass side of the bed and it rides level that way haha

It seems we get picky about our own trucks. Mine sat about 1" lower on the driver side when I got it (actually lived in Enid then) and currently is atleast 1/2" lower on the driver side but I usually have fence posts and/or feed in bed and keep more weight on the pass side so you'd never know it.

I've heard of people going as far as throw a bag of sand on the high side and just live with it, others add a small metal plate under the leaf on the driverside to lift it.

A bad shock can make it lean too. I didnt pay much attention to your shocks, I remember they were newer (likely not original) but don't recall how they looked (not that it would matter w/ as clean as your chassis is). Just an idea, but air bags can make up for bad shocks.

ysysudyd.jpg

6e2a2uqy.jpg

u8ugu5ed.jpg

suqy6une.jpg

Source Unknown

I received them yesterday and installed them today. Other than having to grind some material off a bracket to clear the truck's brake line bracket the fitment was fine. The Schrader valves leaked spectacularly but I'll let it warm above freezing and run the pressure up to try toget the seal to take a set before I get too worked up about it.

I think I know why I'm not holding air. I'm used to John Guest fitting and just jamming the lines in...as described in the instructions. With a bit of searching on the net I've determined that you also have to pull on the line and get the collar of the fitting to move with the line to get a good seal. I'll try that tomorrow.

Pulling the lines cured leaking in the fitting; pushing up the pressure level and wiggling the stem in the Schrader valve ended that leak. It seems to be holding air.

Good to here. We have a roll of that line in our shop if you ever need more. My Gpa seems to snag a line yearly.

Source Unknown

Good info. Im wanting to buy a system also, but all the bag companies say there must be atleast 7" between frame and tire. Mine is like 5.5".
What part # kit did you get? How do you like it now? What is your frame/wheel clearence?

I'm pulling 6500 to 8000 with my 1/2 ton with 3.42 gears. The difference with a load is astounding. My truck measures the same and it's within the range described in the instructions. Firestones. Dont recall the part but they're Ride Rites.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Good info. Im wanting to buy a system also, but all the bag companies say there must be atleast 7" between frame and tire. Mine is like 5.5".
What part # kit did you get? How do you like it now? What is your frame/wheel clearence?
Leroy, I'll measure my frame to tire spacing tomorrow. I have Firestone bags and had to modify the upper bracket to use them on my 95. There are pics in my "Truck Makeover" thread.

Edit: it's on page 5.

Back