• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 and 6.2 interchanging parts

6.5coalroller

Reaction score
I recently bought a 94 Chevy with a 6.5 in it. Broke a bolt it off trying to get the manifolds off and had a couple glow plugs broken off so decided just to pull the engine and put a new gasket set in it. Back cylinder on the turbo side had a couple groves in it. Decided to try to get the block honed. Rod and main bearings were shot crank was shot lol. Had a try to hone the block at school but he had to take .020 off just to clean up the cylinders. At this point I think I'm better off just buying a used engine otherwise I'm gonna end up spending more money building this engine than what I bought the truck for. I found a couple 6.2's and I was wondering if I put my 6.5 heads on them if I could still use the 6.2 mechanical injection pump? Injectors? Also could I buy a newer high flow water pump? Just trying to see what my options are... I am having trouble finding a 6.5. I found a few, but I hate to spend much cash on a used engine and end up with junk. It seems to be easier to find a low mileage 6.2. If anyone needs a block I got one bored and ready to go.

Boyce equipment out of Utah or Ted's engines and get a low mile take out 6.2 engine. I recommend Boyce myself with two 6.2 engines from em.

The 6.5 is just a bored out 6.2. Minor differences with the heads otherwise.

Just clean up the cylinders and add new rings to the take out engine. Gapless will keep the oil clean. You can use the 6.2 longblock with 6.2 heads. You should change the precups if you plan on ever getting a bigger turbo. Throw the 6.5 heads on if you can. ARP head studs with blue locktight on the block side is a good thing to do.

1994 is a DS4 electronic injection. 6.2's are generally DB2 mechanical. You will have to swap the timing cover from the 6.5 to the 6.2 with the DS4 IP on it.

Post the block in the classifieds section.

What's the advantage of running the 6.2 heads?

When your 6.5 heads are cracked and so are the precups... Saves you money.
Disadvantages are the injector angle makes injectors tight to the turbo manifold. You have to drop the manifold to change injectors on a 6.2 head setup with a 6.5 manifold.

Go with 6.5 heads if you can. If cash is an issue 6.2 heads with the turbo precups put in will work. Last is factory turbo and 6.2 NA precups work well. Any bigger turbo's and more fuel for big turbo's smoke badly with 6.2 NA precups.

I found a 6.2 pretty cheap... gonna go pick it up tomorrow. I think I'm just gonna put the 6.2 in the truck as is. What wiring is on the db2 pump? I will post up the block from the truck in the classifieds... I'm gonna sell what I got left to pay to rebuild my transmission.

You need to change the timing cover and bring over the DS4 IP with crank sensor. (You will be getting a timing chain set...) Otherwise you will need the 'DB2 conversion guide' or get in touch with Buddy for a tune to try and make things work. A DB2 uses a throttle cable. A DS4 is electronic throttle. A conversion is a large project, but, has been done by others.

I highly recommend you change the 6.2 head gaskets to the 6.5 gaskets.
Again:
deglaze the cylinders and re-ring the engine. I did this with the crank and cam in place.
I would header wrap the manifolds esp on the turbo side.
Also 2 manifold gaskets will buy you some injector clearance.

I would also change the precups - I regret every day with the 6.2 precups with the big turbo. Although with the factory turbo it didn't matter and ran as well as the 6.5 that came out.

Back