• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 “pops” & blows black smoke intermittently

I can live with a pmd every few years, if that’s all. Truck is a 97 but only has 134K miles on it. And, it’s only a farm truck.

It finally started the popping again while I was hauling my tractor. I plugged the new pmd in, without mounting it to the new heat sink. No popping. Drove it 30 miles with no issues and then plugged the old one back in, started popping right away. However, the new pmd was very hot already. I let it cool down and mounted it, on the heat sink, in the bumper. It did not “pop” that day. Hopefully it is fixed! Exhaust is next item on list when I can afford the downtime.

To help future troubleshooting, and nothing more, consider this: Your new PMD will have a shorter than normal life from the cumulative damage of the single high temp experience. Never run a PMD without a heat sink, ever. Just saying when the problem returns don't be surprised that your "new" PMD is the problem again. Yeah the new PMD didn't go "POP!" that day, but, you didn't 100% get away with it either. Live and learn... Your spare will get ya home.

I just had my first experience with welding a stud onto a broken bolt. It was on my Tractors’s thermostat housing. I could get the bolt to partially turn, but then it would break off. This happened at least 5 times and I was about to order a new housing, but I cranked the flux welder to its highest setting. It turned the nut into a round blob, but it came out with vice grips. Unfortunately, I gouged the facing of the housing while extracting it. I think the gasket will take care of that, at least I hope. I am hoping my exhaust bolts are easier.

Just an update, it hasn’t missed since swapping the PMD. The exhaust however...

Back