• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 won't start with out help

northbound festus

Reaction score
My 6.2 won't start without spraying diesel down the intake unless it has been running within the last 5 hours. If it has been running and i shut it off it starts right up. This truck has not been ran much in the last year.

What kind of lift pump are you running ? The stock mech ?
I have never heard of spraying diesel down an intake. That's a first for me.

won't start

Stock mechanical pump. As for the spraying fuel. I do mix a touch of gasoline with the diesel in a spray bottle. This puts a fine mist down the intake when
the engine is turned over. It does require 2 people. 1 at the iginition switch the other at the spray bottle. It is a pain but it beats ether. which I know will kill my engine.

If they are the stock glowplugs(9Gs) you may encounter a few that are stuck as they were famous for swelling up and burning out. my blazer had 2 that were stuck in the engine. One was a 9G and it took about 2 hours to remove and i almost snapped the GP in 1/2. The other was a 11G which were not supposed to swell, yet this one did anyways.

Just be careful with the removal of a stuck glowplug. you don't want to snap off the end and let it fall into the cylinder.

As the previous owner, I can tell you that those glow plugs were in the truck when I bought it, & I never had them out, so there's alot of years & miles on them. I also never used ether on it.

The owner before me said that was a new Goodwrench motor thet he'd put in 50,000 miles before I got it. That's probably the last time the glow plugs were replaced. That was 10 years ago, & it's been from Alaska to Florida to Ohio, & everywhere in between since then, though.

If you haven't checked the glow plugs yet, try plugging in the block heater for a couple hours before starting it next time. If it starts easier, that would be a good indication that some glow plugs are bad.

Send me a pic of the new puppy when you get a chance.:thumbsup:

Drove it...:D
Yeah 10 yrs long time for glows. Probably not healthy at all. don't we have a sticky somewhere on testing them ? I used to do it with a test light but that just tells you if it's totally bad IIRC not weak. Use 60gs. Avoid WAP.

The truck in question is an old Ayeska rig (1989 GMC V3500 crewcab longbed).
I pulled a trailer from Fairbanks to Florida with it in order to attend Pensacola Bible Institute for three years. I met NB-Festus there, and when I returned to AK, I drove the truck to his place in Ohio, & flew the rest of the trip home. -The only thing worse than flying 4,000 miles is driving 5,000.):h

I talked to Festus on the phone yesterday, & he had discovered the the glow plug system wasn't working, so he was chasing wires. I'm surprised the old rig would start at all with NO gp's.

The advice pointing to the glow plugs was a big help. I traced the problem down to the switch that started them. ( which is a push button add on ) I jumped the wires across
and the light on the instrument panel came on and she started right up. My thanks to all.

Back