• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 with 6.5 turbo no POWER

Barryt

Reaction score
Hey guys i been over at another site and was told this was a better one to be at so im here now to get some help....I have a 1992 chevy with a 86 6.2 with all 6.5 TB parts etc, I finally got it running after weeks of troubles and issues! Now when i go down the road i have no power what so ever shifts fine thru all 4 gears, I dont have any gauges etc or anything other than factory, It wont run over 45mph floored in 3rd gear,Also i have noticed there is alot of oil coming out from around the intake top plentium, could my turbo be bad? Also has lots of BLUE smoke at idle even after warmed up but after driving down the road the smoke clears and turns to a small amout of black, I mean i have no power what so ever! Doc thanks for the help with my other threads the Sock was stopped up had to remove the tank and clean it out, the truck had been setting since 1995, Time for new brake lines now there holding sticking.

1992 chevy 3500HD Dynamic repo truck
6.5 Turbo Auto

Some call it the PCV, its the breather on the passenger side valve cover... It looks like a "tuna can".. I think you motor has one..

oh it looks pretty new, There is lots of oil in the front of the turbo like where it hooks to the breather,where the turbo and the hose hooks to the plentum there is lots of oil seeping from there.

6.5 Turbo Auto

did you tighten those up??? that makes a big difference. I blew crud all over my intake hat cuz I didnt tighten on that enough.

also if you want to figure this out start removing sources of oil... move your CDR outlet away from the intake and run for a while... see if you still have oil everywhere, if you dont, you have isolated the issue, if you do, then you can cross CDR off your list.

When's the last time you looked at the air filter & box & ducting & the inlet path in the fender?

Ok took it loose ran for a while same thing smoked like crazy at idle, tightened all 6 bolts tight as possible, I took the CDR off and ran it for a while no smoke or oil was coming from it, 3" exhaust looks like factory, I had it cut infront of the muffler and it still did the same thing, Will it hurt the turbo to unhook the turbo oil feedline to see if thats my problem, I know the turbo needs oil to run but if its got blown seals etc that could cause the blue smoke correct? I replaced the complete air cleaner system,No dirt or nest built in there also has a new filter in it, I cant hear the turbo at all while driving down the road.

6.5 Turbo Auto

Your symptoms are too much fuel, not enuff air - or mis-timed - while idling, push the lever on the passenger-side of the IP in at the bottom - should change sound as timing changes

Heres the deal the 6.2 nonturbo was in a sub i bought and i drove it 2k miles it got 18mpg and ran strong to be in that big thing, All i done was change the intake,manifolds,belt system etc, It had very little blue smoke on startup but went away after 2-3 minutes after running, I put it in this truck now its been a headache ever since, The 6.5 parts where from a 93 truck that was missing and getting water in the oil, I never took the IP off the 6.2 so i dont think the timing is off. But i will try your timing trick. do i need to take it to a shop and have more fuel turned to it or can i do it myself?

6.5 Turbo

I don't know about anyone else but maybe start from scratch with exactly what you did and used. Disconnecting the oil line from turbo=bad idea. If your turbo seals are blow out you should see oil everywhere in it. What did you do for the wastegate ? 93 should have been mechanical but did you hook it up ? If I'm getting it right you had a god running 6.2 then swapped it into a 1992 truck and used turbo parts off a blown 93 to make it a turbo. Do you have the drain hooked up right on the turbo ? It should go to where the mech fuel pump went on the 6.2 and that means you should be running an electric one now.

Im running the return line into the old fuel pump oulet, Yes running electric lift pump now,
Oil is coming from around all points headed back to the intake manifold, There is oil on the hose conecting to the plentum,there is oil on the front of the turbo where it hooks to the airfilter box, I think the seals are blown in the turbo, Waste gate is still hooked up like it was in the 93 manuel spring loaded..

6.5 Turbo

If you used the original plumbing to and from the turbo, it should be ok - did you use the 6.5TD CDR, or the 6.2 version?

I just used what was on the 6.5 i had to change the valve cover over to the 6.2. i think im going to hunt a turbo today and c if that takes care of the power problem.

wire the WG shut and take it for a drive and see if the turbo will spool up...don't hold it at WOT to long....that will tell if your turbo is workin'...

btw...have you removed the intake elbow off the turbo to see if it's spinnin'?

removed air filter from turbo and i found lots of oil in the elbow.i unhooked the the valve from the valve cover and i have no smoke at all going up the road and very little black,waste gate wired forward and still same amount of power,it does spin freely also it has very little play in it.I changed the oil in the truck after installing and now its down below the add 1 qt mark so the oil from the engine is going some where.

1992 Chevy 3500HD 6.2 turbo

whats is the technical name for a cdr? auto zone etc dont know what its called or cant find it.

Back