• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 Swap Into A Gas Truck.

DZZ71

"Living The 6.5 Dream"
Reaction score
I got free 6.2 today from the gf's dad. Its been sitting for a few years but he just had the engine rebuilt about 3 months pryor to crashing it. When i say rebuilt i mean everything. new injectors,injection pump, pistons,ect. Now i wanna put it in a 1991 chevy gas truck. What all is involved in doing this swap? And is there anything i should do since its been sitting in the pasture for a few years? Also i want to put a turbo on it since i have parts from 2 other 6.5 engines i have laying around. The olny down fall to that is he put in "high compression pistions". So give me your opinion on what i should do here.....

Attachments

• 6.2 014.jpg
    6.2 014.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.2 011.jpg
    6.2 011.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.2 013.jpg
    6.2 013.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.2 015.jpg
    6.2 015.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.2 016.jpg
    6.2 016.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.2 020.jpg
    6.2 020.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.2 018.jpg
    6.2 018.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
Since you have the diesel truck, all the wiring harness's could be swapped. The fuel sender/pickup in the tank will have to be swapped with the in-tank efi pump/sender.
Quite a bit of work swapping all the wiring,but doable

Is the 91 OBS or NBS ? You didn't specify and that makes alot of difference. 1 tons were still OBS in 91. It's not that hard to do at all and swapping the entire wiring IMHO is way too much work. All you really need is a feed for the IP and a manual GP setup. You coulld swap the sending units or just bulkhead the tank as well just don't try hooking the fuelline up to the gasser sending unit. it most likely has a fuel pump attached to it. Aside from that shouldn't be too bad. Need the rad from the diesel. The biggest problem I see is your states emmisions requirements. If the truck vin# is gasser you won't be able to get emmisions test done which in my state means you can't register it. Remember it is a violation of federal and some states laws to modify a vehichles emissions or fuel type. Better check your local laws. In ct you would never get it registers until it becomes 25yrs or older then it would be exempt. Transmission and any involved electroinc could be a problem if an automatic. Handshaker no prob. The wrecked truck looks like it has a handshaker.

What does OBS and NBS mean? And actually this truck is kind of a mess as well lol. This truck had a 454 in this and then they put the 6.2 diesel in it. Now i think they left the fule pump in that gas tank just to free flow. And just made a manual set up for the glow plugs as well i think. Maybe i should just try getitng the engine to work in there for now and try rig up a turbo later on.....

Is the 91 OBS or NBS ? You didn't specify and that makes alot of difference. 1 tons were still OBS in 91. It's not that hard to do at all and swapping the entire wiring IMHO is way too much work. All you really need is a feed for the IP and a manual GP setup. You coulld swap the sending units or just bulkhead the tank as well just don't try hooking the fuelline up to the gasser sending unit. it most likely has a fuel pump attached to it. Aside from that shouldn't be too bad. Need the rad from the diesel. The biggest problem I see is your states emmisions requirements. If the truck vin# is gasser you won't be able to get emmisions test done which in my state means you can't register it. Remember it is a violation of federal and some states laws to modify a vehichles emissions or fuel type. Better check your local laws. In ct you would never get it registers until it becomes 25yrs or older then it would be exempt. Transmission and any involved electroinc could be a problem if an automatic. Handshaker no prob. The wrecked truck looks like it has a handshaker.

Whats a hand shaker?

obs = old body style[81-91 in 1 tons ,81-87 in 1/2 and 3/4 tons]
nbs = new body style[92-2000 in 1 tons, 88-99 in 1/2 and 3/4 tons]
The wrecked truck looks to be a 88 or 89 because of the dash/gauges

P1010483.jpg

Your right about the crashed truck its an 89, same year i was made lol as for the 1991 its the newer body style. Its the 2500 with the 6 bolt axles.

I have emergency room visits. right now I look like I got punched in the eye from getting paint thinner below my eye. I'm going to Az for my next truck..

I have emergency room visits. right now I look like I got punched in the eye from getting paint thinner below my eye. I'm going to Az for my next truck..

I've heard the NW is the best place for used vehicles. There isn't the sun fading of the interiors.

Cut off front clip with saws all. Check how much damage there is to the front of the engine aka timing cover, acc drive brackets, etc. Then decide if it is worth it.

That bed looks straight and clean.....sell it off for whatever you can get an it will probably fund your swap entirely.

Looks like you need a new rad, fan and maybe a water pump. Maybe even some engine front accessory stuff, depending on damage.

Everything from the 89 will bolt right into a 91, no problem.

It's just a lot of work and time consuming.

Don't mess with a turbo yet, just get it all together and running first...

Back